Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike hasn't been riden in about three weeks and about a months before that, the gas is a couple months old. I can start it and it runs with the choke all the way open and after about a 10 minuute warmup about 3/4 the way open, I suspect its my pilot jet on the carb gettng gummed up, I was wondering if there is an easier way to fix the problem than taking off the carb to clean the pilot jet? Can i just siphon the fuel put some new gas in there and maybe some additives to clean it out, and/or some carb cleaner?

·
Registered
704 Posts
That's the first thing I'd try. SeaFoam seems to be the carb cleaner of choice around here. I also like Berrymans.

Do the fuel stuff then run it a few minutes to make sure the cleaner is in the carb. Then let it set and work. Overnight at least.

There's lots of posts re: this if you'll search.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I think you've already figured out your problem, and it sounds to me like the main jet.

I'd go with BigIron's suggestions, and if that doesn't do it, buck up and pull your tank off.. I have a hunch you're going to need to do this and get some good carb spray and clean up your carb..

The best carb spray I've found is Napa's house brand in professional strength. One can will take care of what 6 cans of cheap stuff won't touch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fixed it

Thanks for the help, I pulled off the carb and sprayed a ton of carb cleaner in it and it worked great. It actually sounds and runs better that before. I haven't taken it out since I sheered off some bolts that attach the tank to the frame during the carb fiasco but ill get it going this Thursday or Friday.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I've sheared one of those bolts. Fortunately there was enough to get visegrips on it so it came out easily. I bought shorter replacements at NAPA that snug down better. Just tighten them enough to slightly compress the bushing, don't screw um down too hard.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts