Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i am not mechanically inclined but one of the reasons i bought this bike was to hopefully learn to wrench a bit. The bike doesnt start. it sounds like its turning over but does not idle. i hope my terminology is correct. I recently changed the battery and oil. bike is 2012 with 7k miles

here is a short video of what its doing.

·
Administrator
4,017 Posts
At this point you’ll probably get more questions than answers. Do you know the history of the bike? Did you see it running before you bought it? Did you ride it? Just watching the video, to me, you aren’t holding the starter long enough. I don’t here it firing at all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah sorry I bought the bike 6 months ago ran fine. Put about 100 miles on it before I garaged it because tires and chain/sprocket are in bad shape. I was getting those replaced this week until i went to run it and we got to this point. If I hold down the starter it just does the exact same thing. Choke is fully up. A few months ago it was slightly hard to start, had to give it a little throttle but not helping at all now

·
Administrator
4,017 Posts
If you parked it and it’s been sitting for 6 months, with the same fuel in the tank, that may be your problem. I would start with draining the carb float bowl, siphoning all the fuel out of the fuel tank and putting in fresh fuel with a can of Sea Foam added.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Apologies I left out the detail that it fired up and idled just fine a few days ago when I changed the battery and oil. Had the same fuel in there. I have a new sparkplug for it wondering if should give that a go. Thanks for all the help btw

·
Premium Member
3,977 Posts
If you parked it and it’s been sitting for 6 months, with the same fuel in the tank, that may be your problem. I would start with draining the carb float bowl, siphoning all the fuel out of the fuel tank and putting in fresh fuel with a can of Sea Foam added.
Ditto; and you can try fresh fuel and seafoam but if it's "ethanol contaminated" fuel, it can go bad and mess things up in FAR less time than 6 months......if so, a carb clean is in order

Dave

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm not the sharpest tool, but I don't think the tank venting hose is the cause of your problems; I think that if you've got compression, and you've got a spark, it's probably something with the air/fuel part of the equation.

The kickstand safety switch is a known problem, so it might be good to see if it started with the kickstand raised, just in case that's causing problems.

·
Registered
271 Posts
You'll find plenty of kvetching about that kickstand switch - it gets dirty/stuck, and causes all sorts of heartache.
Fortunately, for the stout-hearted, there is an easy fix. Check out the Kickstand safety switch bypass instructions at the bottom of the page, make a "jumper" for a few bucks, and never worry about it again! Gen 2 Safety Switch Bypass

Glad that fixed it and don't be embarrassed - we help each other here.

Admin: I tried to link to Tom's Superdoo page, but maybe there's a better link. I don't know what I'm doing...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You'll find plenty of kvetching about that kickstand switch - it gets dirty/stuck, and causes all sorts of heartache.
Fortunately, for the stout-hearted, there is an easy fix. Check out the Kickstand safety switch bypass instructions at the bottom of the page, make a "jumper" for a few bucks, and never worry about it again! Gen 2 Safety Switch Bypass

Glad that fixed it and don't be embarrassed - we help each other here.

Admin: I tried to link to Tom's Superdoo page, but maybe there's a better link. I don't know what I'm doing...
Think I will do the bypass tomorrow. Would this safety switch also affect putting it into first? It sometimes cuts off when I put it into gear. Wondering if this would be the kickstand or clutch safety

1 - 15 of 15 Posts