Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I've always used "rider" to mean motorcyclist. "Biker" has always had a negative connotation to me.
I grew up around a lot of good old boy bikers, so it has never been a negative label to me.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Oh, and on the back bumper of my car it says "PLEASE SEE BIKERS!" in big ass yellow decals. I get waves from bikers motorized and pedaled. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Yeah, the Oxford is softening the definition somewhat from what I think of when I hear "biker" and my mind fills in the rest as "biker gang" rather than "biker group".

·
Registered
15 Posts
The group I ride with from another site calls ourselves "motorcycling enthusiasts" to distinguish ourselves from traditional "bikers". Little more respectable for a group of consultants, oil execs, bankers, IT pro's, sales managers, etc. Like it or not, once you say "biker", the image most often brought up is not someone riding a Nomad, KLR, or BMW.

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
oil execs, bankers, IT pro's, sales managers, etc
And then there are these types who dress up on weekends to look like the traditional "Biker" thug type on their nice big HD's. ..

I call myself a "Rider"

Never really thought about it much, but I am aware of all the different stereotypes...

·
Registered
15 Posts
And then there are these types who dress up on weekends to look like the traditional "Biker" thug type on their nice big HD's. ..

I call myself a "Rider"

Never really thought about it much, but I am aware of all the different stereotypes...

I knew a doctor like that...spent $30k on a Road Glide and didn't even have his motorcycle licence yet. Rode the bike to the MSF I was taking, nearly dropped it going over a speedbump in front of the class. Was more worried about scuffing up his new boots and jacket than he was about himself. :brick:

I asked him if he had his donor card filled out yet. He didn't appreciate the humor in it.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Hey! Lay Off...

I ride... I belong to a group; the Human Race, a subset of humanity that rides around on a KLR. I dress up in funny armored clothes and ride through puddles and gravel. If I needed to validate my self worth then I would ride a BMW. Or a Harley....

Anonymous ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts