Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
KLR-Jason said:
Wow that's a good idea, and simple too! How much traction does that give you? Is it like riding in the sand?
In the soft stuff it similar to sand. But where the screws come in is on the packed snow and ice. There was an SUV ahead of me, he started to turn left onto a side street, and just slid sideways. He didn't make it and straightened it out just before hitting a fire hydrant. It was a sheet of ice right there. I turned onto the street behind him like I was on rails! I was taking it easy, of course, but it felt like I had as much traction as I usually do on dry pavement. For the packed streets, it works really really well. Just gotta watch for soft ruts. It should be all packed out tomorrow.... :roll:

·
Registered
93 Posts
What length of screws are you using, Duke?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SgtMarty said:
What length of screws are you using, Duke?
1/2 inch #8 sheet metal screws...

from what others who have done this before have told me, you can just take them out when it clears up and won't hurt the tires. I hope not... It's amazing the grip they give you on packed stuff or ice. The loose soft stuff is still sketchy though...

·
Registered
603 Posts
Man that looks like alotta fun.I see where you guys are getting 24-36" of the white stuff
Keep us posted.
ps---don't lose that ridin partner in the deep snow

happy trails
Mike

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
klrmike said:
Man that looks like alotta fun.I see where you guys are getting 24-36" of the white stuff
Keep us posted.
ps---don't lose that ridin partner in the deep snow

happy trails
Mike
If we get that much, I WILL lose her... She's only about that tall ;) I don't think we'll get that much here in Salida, but we'll see...

·
Registered
477 Posts
Does your wife always smile? Oh, and does she have a sister? Any help would be greatly appreciated :si0201

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
KLRGunn said:
Does your wife always smile? Oh, and does she have a sister? Any help would be greatly appreciated :si0201
Yep, she's constantly smiling when she's riding. It makes riding with her a blast! How can you look at that smile and not have fun?

Sorry, no sister....

·
Registered
93 Posts
Just spent four hours plowing PART of my driveway. 2-3 feet deep, and the ridge from the street plow was about 4 feet high and hard packed.

I bought a box of 5/8" hard ice screws a couple years ago. They are much harder than regular construction screws. I have them in a spare tire but haven't tested them yet.

Elephant Ride, if nothing else before that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts