Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did the .22 cent mod the other day and went on a 150 mile trip yesterday and the bike died on me. I found the blown fuse and threw in the spare and it blew too. Then I remember that I had found the wires leading to the front brake unplugged the other day. I unpugged the two wires going to the front break, threw in another new fuse and it has worked fine since then. Any ideas, what do I need to do now?

J.B.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The two wires plug into the housing that the front break lever is mounted to. They were unplugged when I got the bike.

J.B.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Heh, they left it unplugged probably for that reason. Maybe its got a bad switch in there that activates the brake light.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Yeah, I'm with Ecip. If not the switch follow that circuit back till you find it.
You could take it to a dealer to see if the wiring recall has been done or DIY.

Harness Recall.pdf

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
so the dealer will check if the recall has been done and repair for free? i should get my 09 in and see about this.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I did the .22 cent mod the other day and went on a 150 mile trip yesterday and the bike died on me. I found the blown fuse and threw in the spare and it blew too. Then I remember that I had found the wires leading to the front brake unplugged the other day. I unpugged the two wires going to the front break, threw in another new fuse and it has worked fine since then. Any ideas, what do I need to do now?

J.B.
My 08 did the same thing. What I found was that the wiring harness had a short right where it passed over the voltage regulator (black finned thing behind the radiator reservoir). The harness gets pinched between the tank and regulator. I rerouted a bit and put some hard insulation over the harness.

The recall doesn't replace the harness just reroutes and adds some insulation. Once you get the tank off it's not hard to locate the likely trouble spots. The regulator area is the number one place to check from the reports I've read.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts