Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Going to take the Motorhome and camp all summer in Maggie Valley. We'll be riding the parkway from Cherokee to Pisgah Lodge area most days, with some trips on 215, 276, 64, 19, Toxaway falls, Hot Springs, etc. We're on road bikes and just to "let you know", we ride what some might call "fast". Mostly no more than 60 in the straights, we just don't slow down much for curves. We take about anything the parkway dishes out at no less than 50. I'll be on a green (the fastest color) Versys 1000 and the wife rides her black with pink stripes NC700x behind me. If you're in the area and want to meet up, drop me a PM. It might be a few days (or a week) before I check messages here after we leave. We depart in 3 weeks and are there for 6 months. Well,,, if the grandbaby-on-the-way stays in the oven that long we will. Otherwise we my come home a month early and see the new one. #3. Leaf Lookers will be there then anyway. We don't do mornings or trails anymore. Most sunsets we will be at Waterrock Knob. If you see us, say hello. If you're busy at work and can't ride, that sucks for you ;) I'll put some miles on in your name.

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
Going to take the Motorhome and camp all summer in Maggie Valley. We'll be riding the parkway from Cherokee to Pisgah Lodge area most days, with some trips on 215, 276, 64, 19, Toxaway falls, Hot Springs, etc. We're on road bikes and just to "let you know", we ride what some might call "fast". Mostly no more than 60 in the straights, we just don't slow down much for curves. We take about anything the parkway dishes out at no less than 50. I'll be on a green (the fastest color) Versys 1000 and the wife rides her black with pink stripes NC700x behind me. If you're in the area and want to meet up, drop me a PM. It might be a few days (or a week) before I check messages here after we leave. We depart in 3 weeks and are there for 6 months. Well,,, if the grandbaby-on-the-way stays in the oven that long we will. Otherwise we my come home a month early and see the new one. #3. Leaf Lookers will be there then anyway. We don't do mornings or trails anymore. Most sunsets we will be at Waterrock Knob. If you see us, say hello. If you're busy at work and can't ride, that sucks for you ;) I'll put some miles on in your name.
Sounds great, Toney!

Only . . . what's the SPEED LIMIT on the Blue Ridge Parkway? Has the speed limit been RAISED in recent years? :)

Congratulations on the grandchild!

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds great, Toney!

Only . . . what's the SPEED LIMIT on the Blue Ridge Parkway? Has the speed limit been RAISED in recent years? :)
45 MPH if you stick to the rules. I can't do it. It would be like trying to hold in a fart after a big Mexican dinner. My bike came with hard cases, I can carry tickets. I haven't tried it yet but I think TN on the left, NC on the right might work. Balance the weight as needed.

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
45 MPH if you stick to the rules. I can't do it. It would be like trying to hold in a fart after a big Mexican dinner. My bike came with hard cases, I can carry tickets. I haven't tried it yet but I think TN on the left, NC on the right might work. Balance the weight as needed.
From the tales that are told, you'll receive FEDERAL speeding tickets on the Blue Ridge Parkway, Toney, neither TN nor SC; so . . . you may carry them in EITHER right or left case.

:)

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From the tales that are told, you'll receive FEDERAL speeding tickets on the Blue Ridge Parkway, Toney, neither TN nor SC; so . . . you may carry them in EITHER right or left case.

:)
I've never seen a cop up there but I did pass by a park ranger with radar once. I think he shot the red corvette that was in front of me. I don't think it will be a problem this summer, most of the federal authorities currently are tied up in that collusion investigation.

·
Premium Member
6,699 Posts
Many years ago, I received a Federal speeding ticket in Yellowstone N.P., max speed 65 in a 45 zone. I had gotten the park rangers attention at 30 in a 25 zone at the intersection to Old Faithful. He followed me for about 15 miles to the next intersection.
We both agreed that it was a nice night for a 'spirited run' thru the park, but animals on the roadway could be dangerous.
I slipped it into the map pocket of the tank bag. The park ranger did tell me that if I did not pay the bond by the court date assigned or be present in the court in Denver, CO that a Federal Warrant for my arrest would be issued by the judge.
I forgot about the ticket under the maps for about a month. 4 days til court date. I sent a money order on Saturday and prayed that it would be in Denver by Tuesday and not 'lost in the mail'.

Wooooo, that was close.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'll add my 2 cents. I've been stopped before on the Blue Ridge. We were informed that we were going 20 over the posted speed and we could be taken to jail. After a long wait, the officer first gave us a warning for super speeder and then he followed it up with a ticket for speeding. It is a Federal ticket and if you fail to pay it, they will send a Marshall to at arrest you.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I love riding any roads in the mountains of North Carolina and the parkway. But, I was driving to Rolling Thunder one year in DC and went up along the virginia parkway cause I was going to stop in at some friends in Waynesboro and man was I disappointed. The parkway was pretty boring and felt like it was at about a 100 feet in elevation.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I love riding any roads in the mountains of North Carolina and the parkway. But, I was driving to Rolling Thunder one year in DC and went up along the virginia parkway cause I was going to stop in at some friends in Waynesboro and man was I disappointed. The parkway was pretty boring and felt like it was at about a 100 feet in elevation.
The best part of the BRP is from Cherokee to Hwy 215.

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
The northern terminus of the Blue Ridge Parkway is near Waynesboro (Rockfish Gap).

Had you continued northward from there, you could have ridden the Skyline Drive:
Skyline Drive is a 105-mile (169 km) road that runs the entire length of the National Park Service's Shenandoah National Park in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia, generally along the ridge of the mountains. The drive's northern terminus is at an intersection with U.S. Route 340 (US 340) near Front Royal, and the southern terminus is at an interchange with US 250 near Interstate 64 (I-64) in Rockfish Gap, where the road continues south as the Blue Ridge Parkway.
The 45 mph speed limit may be boring on the Skyline Drive, but not the scenery! Here's an image of KLRistas on the first leg of "wotnext's" 50,000-mile "Riding Through The Americas" adventure (ride report on ADV):

"Wotnext" is the rider standing behind the 10-gallon fuel tank with a motorcycle attached. (He ran out of gas on his way to Florida, one side of his EXXON Valdez tank went dry; the vacuum pump could not then transfer fuel from the other side to the engine.)

·
Registered
338 Posts
After Waynesboro I proceeded directly toward DC so didn't go north of Waynesboro on the Skyline. I'll do that next time if they allow KLR's at rolling thunder lol.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did the length of both Skyline Dr and Blueridge on my Ducati. Late October meant few other cars other than a Porsche club day, they didn’t seem to like being passed. . .
Great place but Police are every where and not friendly! Think I’ll stick to dirt, (KLR content)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got heafty ticket a couple years ago at VA/NC line. Thought I was going to jail for sure! Was clocked at 95 in a 65 zone. Just having way too much fun up till then! Won't do that again! Cost about $1000 in lawyer and court fees. Never tried on any "chrome bracelets" before and didn't want to start then! Cop was pretty cool about the whole thing. I'm sure I wasn't the first idiot he'd ever dealt with.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Humm, glad to have avoided that! I will say it's a beautiful place and road, the shoulder seasons seem to be less crowded. I'd recommend it to anyone despite the naysayers. . .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just got back from riding from Roanoke To Cherokee on the Parkway and only saw about 2 Park Rangers the whole time.... about 700 miles and only 2. Granted it was in the beginning of May and the season is just now starting but based on my ride odds are low of seeing any police.... 45 MPH does seem a little low for some areas of the Parkway though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts