Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time listener, first time caller. I've been reading posts here to aid in my decisions since I bought my '18 brand new and I've been having a blast, finally decided to create a login. A buddy watched it for me while I was on deployment and used an impact driver to put the body panels back on. The left rear side front and rear nuts that are welded into the frame are completely stripped. The options I've considered are, A: drill a bit and tap a bit bigger threads B: weld the holes, drill and tap original size C: put a thin nut in behind the existing and get slightly longer bolts. And I suppose the best fix but least fun would be fabricate new tabs with better hardware, replace old ones and paint to match the frame. Any ideas or input out there? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
8,984 Posts
A very good/meticulous welder could counter drill the old threads out and then weld Inverted Flanged 6mm nuts back into the holes, for a perfect fit.
Similar to this footpeg bolt hole repair,

Reactions: Tym

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
For body panels, the heli-coil trick has been pretty successful.

On occasion I've stuff in a flange nut and rewelded that using a 1/16" rod in the stick welder.

Foo

·
Registered
174 Posts
Helicoils have worked perfectly for 2 yrs now on those same nuts and were a cinch to install

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all. I was definitely over thinking my issue. Helicoils are in and working great! I appreciate all the options presented. The welding flange nuts trick is definitely one to keep in the bag.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts