Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will the side covers for a 2022 KLR650 fit the 2008 KLR650. The seat appears to be removeable without removing the side panels on the 2022. On my 2008 I have to remove the pannier mounts to remove the oem side covers to remove the seat to remove and or access the battery, etc. Real pain in the a** if your on the trail or road. Maybe I don't know something or am the only one that thinks this is poor design.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Typically, a rider would need access to the battery to 1) jump-start the beast, or 2) tap some juice for a trails-de compressor, or maybe 3) recharge his/her flux capacitor.

At least for item 2, one could wire in a small SEA flat-pin power connector and tuck it under the left side cover, held in place with velcro. Be sure to use a fused version - or risk the fire hazard.

Reactions: vegangeezer

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just installed one of those power plugs on my 08 last week. I can keep a Battery Tender on the bike and my heated vest came with a plug that will work with a flat plug. Not sure if the stock KLR charging ystem will have enough power to keep the bike and the vest powered. My tire pump also works with that plug.

·
Premium Member
11,089 Posts
Some people use a hole saw or large drill bit to make access holes in the side covers for the seat bolts.
Some people drill holes in the side covers & cut out the FRONT of the seat mount, so as to only Loosen the seat bolts.
Some people leave the side covers completely OFF.
Other people, simply leave the seat bolts OUT & use a bunjie cord over the seat.

Its your bike, do it your way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all of the responses. I like the clean look of the new model side covers and thought they might fit. I know the old panels can be modified, but I was looking for an easy way to achieve a nice look. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2022 Pearl Lava Orange
1,038 Posts
Frame and subframe is different on the gen 3 so I'll echo the others No response. Maybe with some metal work and modifications it might but I doubt it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts