Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WOW!!! It's that time of year that the leaves begin changing and the mountains will be bringing out it's best. Yes........it's time for Bat Out Of Helen!! Riding dual sports.......eating German food......sitting around the campfire.......and more! If you haven't been to Helen, come check out the Bavarian countryside in the North GA Mountains! Great food and 'sights' in these mountains! GA and nearby NC/SC has some wonderful riding!

BOOH will be back at Cherokee Campground, in Sautee Nacoochee.......just a few minutes from Helen. We have the majority (if not all) of the tent sites availaible for our disposal. #7 is the site in the very back......and the one that many folks can use at one time. #2, 4, and 7 all have power/water.

Who: Anyone wanting some Dualsport action and German Cuisine!
What: Bat Out Of Helen
Where: Cherokee Campground Cherokee Campground
When: October 19-21 (Early bird is Thurs -18th)
Why: To Ride and Feast

ATTENDING..................WHEN...................STEED
shakeyjake18.............Fri-Sun?..................XR650L
cherokee_chuck.........Thur(pm)-Sun...........KLX650R

Planned Riding Schedule
Friday - We may have 2 groups going out this day. Plans are for a Hooligan ride at nearby Oakley and Beasley Knob OHV areas. An Adventure tour is planned as well for those looking for something a little less aggressive.
Saturday - Dean has a great ride going northeast to ride some new(ish) roads and also incorporating some known routes to make a nice loop! This ride is ADV bike friendly.
Sunday - There are many nice 'Dead End' roads that get overlooked in those mountains......I will be leading a ride that hits many of these! ADV friendly.

Multiple people per campsite.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Popete.....glad you are making it! We keep it simple.....just pitch your tent in the sites in the back of the campground. We will settle up the bill later. If you prefer staying in your trailer/vehicle, there is room for your vehicle as well.

Who: Anyone wanting some Dualsport action and German Cuisine!
What: Bat Out Of Helen
Where: Cherokee Campground Cherokee Campground
When: October 19-21 (Early bird is Thurs -18th)
Why: To Ride and Feast

shakeyjake18.............Fri-Sun?..................XR650L
cherokee_chuck.........Thur(pm)-Sun...........KLX650R
Popete.....................Thur(pm)-Sun.......... KLR650

Planned Riding Schedule
Friday - We may have 2 groups going out this day. Plans are for a Hooligan ride at nearby Oakley and Beasley Knob OHV areas. An Adventure tour is planned as well for those looking for something a little less aggressive.
Saturday - Dean has a great ride going northeast to ride some new(ish) roads and also incorporating some known routes to make a nice loop! This ride is ADV bike friendly.
Sunday - There are many nice 'Dead End' roads that get overlooked in those mountains......I will be leading a ride that hits many of these! ADV friendly.

Multiple people per campsite

·
Registered
3 Posts
BOOH Joining but not camping

Hey Cherokee_Chuck et al,

I live in Gainesville, GA and would like to join up for the rides. I wouldn't be camping - too much else going on - and likely could only do one day, either Saturday or Sunday - whichever looks best from a Ride perspective. Is that "acceptable"? -If so, what time and from where would the rides begin?

I just put Avon Trailwings on for the Winter (took off my Shinko's); so I'd be looking for the more relaxed ADV Rides...
Unfortunately, I don't get out enough lately to keep my skills up, so I end up more on asphalt than dirt in all honesty.

The ol' gal needs to get out and be ridden...

Thanks,
Stu

2002 KLR650 "Sheila" - Australian for fun-loving girl...
Just turned 10,000 miles... needs more
Yeah, bunch of mods... (I've had the bike for several years)
Doo-Bob and Thermo-Hickey,
Eagle Mike frame through bolt,
Arrowhead oversized front brake rotor
Carb Needles and Jets w/Unifilter
FMF Header and exhaust
Upgraded rear shock
new springs in front
Eagle Mike Front fork brace
Moose racks with Tusk panniers
Upgraded stator
Upgraded ECU and wiring bus - from the guy in Japan...Eastern???
leds in gauges
led rear lights - with blinking brake light
bash plates and frame cage
SS brake lines
Corbin seat
Wolfman bags
Tall windshield
Addition Dash with switches and outlets
Garmin Montana

also -
2009 DL-1000 VStrom

·
Registered
64 Posts
Klrzen I am on the north side of Gainesville off Thompson Bridge Road. You are welcome to come and ride any day during that time. We usually leave around 9-930. In my opinion, Saturday would be the best day to come and ride. Sunday's are short rides, usually doesn't last til around lunch and people start making their way home. We tailor rides to the skill level and what people are wanting to do. We usually have 2 groups going out. If I can help answer any more questions give me a shout

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
klrzen.........I believe the ride on Saturday will be right up your alley! Look forward to seeing you!

ATTENDING..................WHEN.......................STEED
shakeyjake18............Thur(pm)-Sun..................XR650L
cherokee_chuck.........Thur(pm)-Sun...........KLX650R/KLR719
Popete.....................Thur(pm)-Sun................ KLR650
Ringo........................Fri-Sun....................KLX250S/KLR650
klrzen...........................Sat?..........................KLR650

Planned Riding Schedule

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Less than a week...............come out to some great riding and looking to be, weather!

ATTENDING..................WHEN.......................STEED
Johnnymize73............Thur(pm)-Sat................KLR650
Matt650....................Thur(pm)-Sun...........DRZ400/KLR650
Stewbo......................Fri(pm)-Sun..................KLR650
shall1973......................Fri............................XR650R

Planned Riding Schedule

Multiple people per campsite[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
21 Posts
Does anyone know how the Helen area fared with hurricane Michael? We lucked out down here in Tallahassee FL, lots of rain & wind. Our power was out the past 6 days, just came on 5 hours ago. I’ve been wondering if the BOOH is still a go? Thanks, PoPete

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does anyone know how the Helen area fared with hurricane Michael? We lucked out down here in Tallahassee FL, lots of rain & wind. Our power was out the past 6 days, just came on 5 hours ago. I’ve been wondering if the BOOH is still a go? Thanks, PoPete

I will be calling the campground today....will ask.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I got off the phone with Phil, the owner of Cherokee Campground. We have the first 4 campsites in the tenting area (5 & 6 also, which are super small, but good for bikes.). The big campsite in the bottom (#7) is where a different group will be.....so DON'T go there. For those of us trucking in...there are places against the woods and off the gravel road that we can park. SEE YOU GUYS SOON!!

Johnnymize73............Thur(pm)-Sat................KLR650
Matt650....................Thur(pm)-Sun...........DRZ400/KLR650
Stewbo......................Fri(pm)-Sun..................KLR650
yotaman423..............Thur(pm)-Sun...........Husky 350/KLR650
tagalong......................Sat-Sun....................KTM950SE
Tim...........................Thur(pm)-Sun...................BMW GS1200
RoRo.... ..................Thur(pm)........................KLR650

Planned Riding Schedule

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Glad you guys are good! My friend's house in Port St. Joe didn't fair well.

Come on north.....good times to be had!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey all

Things are not looking up for getting out this weekend. That four letter word - "w%&k".... but it pays for my excesses.
Maybe I can run up on Sunday though...

Are there gpx's for these trails/roads? For future travels when time is not such a premium.

Thanks,
Stu

·
Registered
21 Posts
Glad you guys are good! My friend's house in Port St. Joe didn't fair well.

Come on north.....good times to be had!

Hi Cherokee Chuck - I’m not going to make it to BOOH after all. We are still working on storm cleanup here in Tallahassee. I thought I’d be finished in time to head north today, but I’m feeling I’d best stay home this weekend and finish my chores. You guys have a blast and I hope to make the next get-together !! PoPete

1 - 17 of 17 Posts