Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If Sidi had a stepped sole on their Discovery Off-Road boot I would not be posting this thread. I don?t like a flat sole because of how it sits on the peg. The Discovery is still a consideration though I want to know more about it and the other boots. If you have a different boot you like, please tell us about it.

Here is my dilemma. I am looking for a good comfortable boot that can go off-road, on-road, and able to walk comfortably in. I am looking at these boots?

Sidi Discovery Off-Road, $250
Sidi Raptor EVO, $180
Fox Tracker Off-Road, $130

I am also considering a less off-road and more street boot?
Sidi Canyon Sympatex, $250

Many of you seem to use Discovery and Tracker boots. Have any of you used the less expensive Raptor EVO? Have any of you used the Canyon Sympatex?

Is a Discovery Off-Road twice as good as a Tracker Off-Road? I am not rich but I will pay the price for a good boot that will possibly pay for itself in the future.

Comfort while riding and walking are major considerations.

Thanks for your input. There is no wrong information.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I think you are trying too hard. I first only wanted a waterproof boot in which I could commute with. I kinda had it in my mind a particular off road style boot for some time, but they are expensive, and I'm patient enough to just save up for them.

Anyway, on a first timer's budget I ended up with Set-Up Grand Prix H2O boot. (Made by Sidi in Italy) And they've served me well, even through some nasty stuff. I've been though water crossings, slodged through silty mud trying to get my bike up right. They've got a heel like you mentioned and my Moose Pegs really grip them well. Obviosuly, I can walk around in them just fine. On occasion I've forgotten to bring my shoes to work with me and had to wear them all day long. Felt just fine. (Although, I'm sure I looked like Napolean Dynomite) I've since left a pair of emergency shoes here at work for such Monday morning brain farts.

Ironically, the boot that was intended as my commuter only boot has become my only boot for 13k miles. I still will get the Sidi Crossfires that I've had my eye on for so long... and those will be my only boots when I know I'm going places. Most of my crazy rides have all been impromtou after work specials, and I never hesitated with my Set-Up Grand Prix'. I picked them up for only $99 at NewEnough.com... when these go on sale, they really go on sale!

(I wish mine still looked as clean as those)

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good reply Biker. Good looking boot. What about sizing? What size shoe do you normally wear and what size MC boot did you purchase? Are the Sidi Crossfire boot flexible enough to walk or hike in? I like the replaceable soles. That boot should last a life time.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I like wearing a 12 in a boot. However, my Set-Up's 11.5 (46 eu) fits perfectly.

The Crossfires are probably not going to be as hikeable as I would like... I'm still looking around for a boot that has some flexibility for that. However, the Crossfires accomodate larger calves. (I was a High Jumper back in the day) But I'm really looking for a White Boot. (Don't ask, it's complicated) I did see a new boot pop up from Alpinestar that's called a Trials, and it appears to have quite an aggressive sole for a straight MX Boot. Which means it's probably flexible enough to walk around in, like pulling/pushing your bike around in bad terrain.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I got these in Ohio at Iron Poney for around $130. They are tough boots with a great sole but I had to waterproof them with a bead of seal all around the sole.

I have a set on the Setup racing boots and I really like them for road riding. I payed $115 for the at Iron Poney also.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Buildit, are those the Tracker boots in the picture?

·
Registered
603 Posts
You want to watch the Gaerne explorer.I have a pair and they are not water proof.They leak around the latches.They are a nice summer boot,but will not keep your feet dry.I like the heel and tread on them for back country ridin.They broke in easy,and are nice around camp because of the lug soles on them,and do ok in light water.

Mike

·
Registered
477 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts