Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

As the user name implies, i'm kind of a junk yard rat. I found an engine case for a KL250D for about $60 in a junk yard that was missing it's cylinder and cylinder head. I figured it would make a fun rebuilding project. I've rebuilt other motors in the past but this will be my first Kawasaki. Eventually I may buy a KLR frame to go around it but for now I just want to get the engine put back together. I know this is a 650 site but I hope you can make an exception for a new 250 owner.

I'm looking forward to learning alot.

Starting with, where the heck can I find out what year of bike this engine came out of? Nobody seems to be able to give me a straight answer. The engine code is:

KL250DE039896.

I want to start finding cylinders and heads but I'm not sure which year to start with.

Thanks in advance,

RJ

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Kawasaki quit listing the beginning Engine number with the beginning VIN for each year model in about 1989.

So I can tell you that it is newer than 1988, which engine number began KL250DE019501 according to my '86-'88 model recognition book.

Giving 1500-2500 per year of production, I'll suggest that 1998 model year would possibly be close enough. They did not change much if any!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's great news! Thanks for the info. I won't worry too much about which cylinder/piston/head combo I end up with. Now all I need to do is find a good repair manual and I'll get to work.

Gracias!

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
If that's a KLR250 engine (can't tell, from the engine number; pdwestman probably can), this may be useful:

You can get this manual from Kawasaki (I think; KLR250s were not sold in the US beyond 2005 models, AFAIK.)

The catch: This manual is a SUPPLEMENT; it references the KLR600 (yes, KLR600, not KLR650) "base" manual; don't know if Kawasaki has any of these in stock any more, but bet they do. A work-around if a Kawasaki KLR600 manual is unavailable: A Clymer, pre-2008 KLR650 manual, instead of a KLR600 manual.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts