Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I swapped out the original brake fluid on my 03'. On the recommendation of my local shop mechanic. What a difference! I just stayed with a dot 4 (non synthetic) fluid and couldn't be happier. Oh by the way it takes a lot longer when you forget to add the stuff and let the reservoir run dry. Ooops!
I highly recommend this if your fluid is dark or old. The brakes seemed to tighten right up. Someone told me about a SS braided rear brake line that eliminates stretch ,as the stock rubber hose does under high heat conditions. Any opinion on this? Cost worth it? I have yet to experienced brake fade,but then again I don't want to.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
Disk brakes, as on front-and-rear with KLR650s, resist fading. Drum brakes (as on rear wheels of some motorcycles in current production)? Another matter.

Regardless, I think brake line elasticity is a negligible factor in brake fade.

Steel-braided brake lines exist for both front and rear brakes. Since the steel braiding reduces hose expansion under pressure, the caliper pistons are more responsive to the brake lever with steel-braided lines. Since most braking effort comes from the front brake, a braided line for the front brake is my priority.

DISCLAIMER and FULL DISCLOSURE: My perceptions/opinions only, corrections and clarifications welcomed; have 320-mm rotor and braided line front, rear stock, on my Generation 1 KLR650.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was planning on spending more time off the road than on, and it sounds like they would be a wise investment.The bike is totally bone stock, so I look foward to fancying it up a little. Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts