Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I try my best to support products locally and not from dirt cheap China suppliers but when other popular brake light strobes like the "Back Off" are selling for $50 and more, I can't pass up the insanely reduced cost.
GS-100A Car Flash Strobe Controller Box Module for LED Brake Tail Stop Light | eBay

This one is called GS-100A and when connected inline with an LED bulb, it produces multiple flashes....then solid ON.
It requires an LED bulb(s) to see the first few rapid flashes but with non-LED bulb you still get the slower flashes.
Real simple hookup, wire it inline with the break light. It comes with 3M double sided tape and it's small enough to stick on the plastic fender well under the seat.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Those really work and I have those on both of the bikes we own. BUT !!!

YOU SHOULD SWITCH TO A LED BULB !!!!!

The first 3 quick flashes are so fast, an incandescent bulb doesn't react quick enough to get the maximum effect and the first 3 flashes are somewhat "dim". LED's (on the other hand) turn on quicker and the flashing effect is quite dramatic. I highly recommend switching to LED's for that (and other) reasons.

Also check your states laws on flashing brake lights. You may want to install a by-pass switch so you can switch it back stock. Might shut up a pesky officer if needed.

NOTE: I carry a copy of the law in my trunk.

Also: There's no reason to cut the ground wire when installing these. I always just ground both black wires together.

When wiring this up remember "This is your brake light wiring", don't rig it all up with butt connectors!. Solder and heat shrink your work.

PS: Buy a few "extras" and keep them in the trunk. You can easily sell them for 10 bucks each at the overlooks. Profit is not a dirty word. LOL!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those really work and I have those on both of the bikes we own. BUT !!!

YOU SHOULD SWITCH TO A LED BULB !!!!!

The first 3 quick flashes are so fast, an incandescent bulb doesn't react quick enough to get the maximum effect and the first 3 flashes are somewhat "dim". LED's (on the other hand) turn on quicker and the flashing effect is quite dramatic. I highly recommend switching to LED's for that (and other) reasons.

Also check your states laws on flashing brake lights. You may want to install a by-pass switch so you can switch it back stock. Might shut up a pesky officer if needed.

NOTE: I carry a copy of the law in my trunk.

Also: There's no reason to cut the ground wire when installing these. I always just ground both black wires together.

When wiring this up remember "This is your brake light wiring", don't rig it all up with butt connectors!. Solder and heat shrink your work.

PS: Buy a few "extras" and keep them in the trunk. You can easily sell them for 10 bucks each at the overlooks. Profit is not a dirty word. LOL!
If you're referring to me, I do have an LED bulb as in the video.

Reactions: Dan Diego

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I got this from Auto Zone locally. https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-ZEVO-1157-Contains-Bulbs/dp/B01A77TV4Q
Best choice, I don't know but I like it. One of these are in my KLR tail light in my video above.

Was funny yesterday I was stopped in the left turn lane waiting for the light and watched a Suburban come into the lane behind me. I pulled the brake and they stopped 2 car lengths behind me. I'm pretty sure they saw the flashing as a message to stay back. Of course this was someone paying attention driving like they all should but it did show that it has at least some affect.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I got mine.
Well, ordered at least.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Short clip of the setup from last ride. My son behind me.
Unfortunately his gopro got bug smear on the front so it's not real clear sorry.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Not sure where I went wrong hooking this thing up.
Bought a cheap 1157 LED from ebay and it worked fine.
When I hooked up the flasher unit I also hooked up the incandescent brake light on my Givi top case.
Tested the brake switches and both lights flashed like they should.
Turned off the bike and worked on other stuff (LED headlights) Voyager install.
Came back later to test the headlights and saw the rear running light was off.
Pulled the front brake and no flashing brake light.

When wiring the flasher I looked at the black box and it looked like you cut both blue (brake) and black (ground) wires.
I remember reading Toney's directions above but that was weeks ago and it apparently wasnt retained by central.

Switched the incandescent back and it worked but it was slow to light up. 1-2 seconds is too long in traffic.

Today I soldered both black wires together and switched back to the LED bulb and nothing.
Figured I'll look at it later (I wanna ride tomorrow) and soldered both red wires together.
LED still doesnt work but the incandescent does. :WTF::arghh:

·
Registered
417 Posts
What’s the downside of just buying the $5 flashing 1157 LED bulbs off eBay or Amazon and swapping them for the stock bulbs?

My buddy did it recent on his HD and it was a simple plug and play procedure—no other wiring necessary.

Attachments

·
Registered
417 Posts
Yeah, I have that one on my first Gen 1. Love it.

Was just wondering if anyone had tried the $5 flashing LED replacements.

Reactions: DPelletier
1 - 13 of 13 Posts