Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
8,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, no Oscar nomination, not great on the production quality, and a bit of comedy.

Higher quality video

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Cue the pissed off Poles! :)

Another nice one man. Your rims are CLEAN. It must be time for a tarry, dirty ride.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Great video. I'll be replacing the pads on my '08 this spring (it's 17 degrees today, no riding for a while yet) After seeing you do it I should have no problems.

·
Administrator
8,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One thing I failed to mention...

The caliper slides on two pins that are attached to the mounting plate. It's a good idea to pull the mounting plate out of the caliper and clean and grease those pins so that the caliper can slide easily. The manual recommends a silicone grease.

If these pins get mucked up and don't allow the caliper to slide easily, then the caliper can bind and one pad will wear prematurely and/or the brakes will drag.

T

·
Administrator
8,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hee, hee!

I like that.

T

·
Registered
20 Posts
Great video Tom.
What better time to change brake fluid than after the pistons are pushed back into the caliper. suck out the old fluid with a syringe or similar, wipe out the reservoir and fill with fresh fluid.
Beer o'clock!

·
Administrator
8,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Steve -

Careful with that, as it's easy to introduce a bubble into the brake line.

Bleeding brakes is easy, even without speed bleeders. Check out this thread.

T

·
Administrator
8,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
An update.

EBC pads lasted about 12K miles, compared to the stock that lasted 20K miles. No change in usage.

T

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I'm sorry, I didn't watch the clips, too lazy I admit, but did read all the posts and didn't see it mentioned. I always file the edges of the pads where you see the punch markings. When they punch the metal blanks it enlarges the overall dia. of them and thusly makes them harder to install sometimes but mostly it will make the pad hang up and not retract with the piston as it should. This causes premature wear and also heat which if bad will warp the rotor. I use a bench grinder mostly but a good file will do the same job but take longer. I will say that if you take too much off the pads will rattle, which will drive you NUTS!!! Ask me how I know! So take your time and keep test fitting to make sure they fit nicely into the caliper. Not tight or not too loose. Sometimes it might be just the paint that is at fault so take your time and check often.

Hope this helps.....I also agree with lubing the caliper pins etc to allow them to glide freely as they operate.:13::13:

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Great video tutorial Tom!
I was howling when the second tube of loctite squirted all over! Reminded me of me! :)
Regards.....justjeff

·
Administrator
8,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I work hard to keep my video production standards very high.

Prior planning prevents piss poor performance...

T

1 - 14 of 14 Posts