Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm calling on the collective brain here to help me identify the lube in the attached pics.

It's definitely not Vaseline and it's too dark and has a unique odor unlike silicone grease. So I was thinking it's brake pin lube. But before I use it, I would like to be more sure that it is actually brake pin lube.

Does anyone recognize the contents and container? Does brake pin grease have a faint unique odor? What are the identifying characteristics of brake pin lube?

Thanks!

Jason

Attachments

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
The squeeze tube of CRC Sta-Lube Synthetic brake caliper grease that I have looks like a synthetic black moly grease. So I'm of no help.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:th1sm112Iknowdesk: Preparation H
Ha, ha, ha, I wouldn't have a clue as to what that looks like.

I think the most important characteristics of brake pin grease are its resistance to high temperatures and ability to stay put.

Perhaps I'll but a dab in a spoon and heat it with a propane torch and observe for any changes in viscosity and stay-putness.

Jason

·
Registered
132 Posts
Size, shape, quantity...looks like soldering iron flux.

·
Registered
174 Posts
See if It oils leather. I have some stuff that has a name brand on it that is the same color, in a plastic container, that came with the leather seat.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
See if It oils leather. I have some stuff that has a name brand on it that is the same color, in a plastic container, that came with the leather seat.
It does look like leather bicycle seat lube, but it's not; see my Brooks bicycle seat lube below.

I think I'll give up my quest to find out what it is and simply adopt DPelletier's suggestion to not use it on brake pins.

Jason

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts