Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove 40miles back from dealer today, no problems! Loving life with my new KLR.

Parked in the garage, after dinner I drive down the road, look at my speedo once I hit the highway and look down to see I'm going zero MPH and have gone no further on my odometer than I did since I hit 42miles on the odometer :(

I turned around and went home and my speedo cable is hanging loose off the wheel/hub/speedo unit. Definitely wasn't like that when I left.

Having looked at speedo cables online, seems like I'm missing a piece off the cable? Tried reattaching and it screwed into place but I think I'm missing the needle?

Pics below.

Sad that this happened Day 1...

Awesome, I can't even share my beautiful pics of my busted speedo tip with you fine folks... Sigh. Is it the weekend yet?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Sorry to hear. That sucks. You need the whole cable. Since it wasn't screwed on, it makes me think the dealer had ridden it some and put some miles on it but they didn't want the odometer to reflect it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, it was screwed on when I left, just came undone. Recorded 42 of my miles no problem. It came undone, is all.

Probably not tightened is my guess. Just venting, I'll have them install a new cable tmw.

Just upset about it, what do you pay the setup fees for?!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
There's almost no way it could of unscrewed by itself. It was probably just sitting on top of it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could have been. I doubt there was nefarious intention at play.

The bike had brand new tires complete with full chicken strips, no gas in the tank, with .8 on the clock and it recorded all 42 miles from the dealer to my door.

Regardless, I'll get it replaced tmw under warranty.

Thanks for the insight though.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
If they ship now like they used to, with the front wheel and handlebars off to fit in a smaller crate, the make ready guy probably got distracted and forgot to tighten the nut on the sheath.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If they ship now like they used to, with the front wheel and handlebars off to fit in a smaller crate, the make ready guy probably got distracted and forgot to tighten the nut on the sheath.
Yeah the delivery checklist showed handlebar and wheel assembly from the crate. That makes the most sense to me. Thanks for the tip!

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
You're probably doing (or done) this anyway, but check other stuff that could have been "overlooked"

Ride safe! :) Enjoy the new bike.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Speedo cable

My 2011 with about 7,000 miles had it's cable disconnect.
It was on and working fine for about 3,000 miles, when I installed the front tire.
I suppose I could have put it on finger tight then? No one else has touched my bike in that time.

I put it back on and gave it a "little" extra with pliers. Seems to be holding. I check it every so often.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts