Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Northern Beaches of Sydney Australia here.
I'm Gary, and I took delivery of my brand new KLR650 this afternoon and took it from 3.3km on the dial to over 24!
I got my Learner's license 2 or 3 weeks ago, and after much agonizing feel in love with the KLR650 watching and reading reviews.

I'm looking forward to taking it for a bash on some fire trails once I'm a more confident and, more importantly, competent rider.

I'm 6'2, so this bike feels like a perfect fit!

Going to fit my SW Motech crash bars in the coming week.

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
Congrats on your new purchase and welcome to the forum. Lots of good advice here. Lots of posts for the new klr owner on things to do and to avoid. Happy riding

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I read a few posts on here before I bought the bike!

Bought myself a torque wrench and some blue Loctite today after reading the post about beginner mistakes.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have same year and color, you will find the bees think its a big sunflower.
Almost 9,000 miles on it now, and only problems I have had where the ones I caused wile mounting crash bars and paniers.
Congrats

·
Registered
121 Posts
GAry, best of luck with that beautiful new bike.I have had 2 over a span of over 20 years and dont envy others with fast street bikes, or lighter dirt bikes. the lighter bikes are too buzzy on the freeway at 70mph and the fast street bikes will never take me through the woods to my deer stand.

Seeing as you are overall a new rider, I can only say use caution. the KLR is not a dirt bike, but with care can go just about everywhere. off road you may think about a more aggressive front DOT knobbie than the stock Dunlops. If the trails are wet the dunlop on the front can scare you in a hurry.

Also, the height and weight make you realize off road - keeping momentum is key. trying to go too slowly often does NOT pay off. You end up fighting the 400lb bike (with gas).

On the road the bike generally shines with stability and controllable power. Stopping power however is not a strength of the bike, so dont plan on tailgating others or slowing down from 60 in time for a quick right turn.

again, good luck, and on this site there are no stupid questions. Line6distortion

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Welcome to the club, Gary!

Great choice of bike, and this is a great place to learn all the in-and-outs of KLRs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Welcome aboard, I like that colour, bet the bees will too haha. Enjoy it,bloody good bikes. Take it easy until you get some crash bars and hurt those new fairings!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Gary- I'll use your intro thread to think out loud about some things! I've had my KLR since 2013, but it has been offline for several years. Most topics have been discussed on this forum because I have been honeymooning with the old threads. I started with repair & maintenance, but have recently been rereading some of the older off topic accounts in "never let your guard down". Got my new plates yesterday and I have been circling my rural neighborhood and staying close to home as I gain trust in the reliability of the bike (24 miles so far!). Running great! No dead spots in acceleration or wonky behaviors. I did some panic stops and had a UPS truck leave a driveway in front of me that I wasn't sure was seeing me! Riding to survive is a practice thing and I'm going to transition my thinking into not assuming I'm still the most awesome rider! A KLR is a very rideable and predictable sort of motorcycle, but it sure is a heavy thing! I think I'm going to try an be careful as I start riding again and look into some books or skills classes. My hood is a bit sleepy, but I have and will use the bike to go into town! Welcome! - Scott

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just took my own advice and bought a used copy of Proficient Motorcycling" by Hough on eBay for $4.19 & free shipping! What a country!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I mounted my crash bars, over torqued a seat bolt and one of the minor crash bar bolts,and got everything back together.
I've got to look in to why my torque wrench didn't do it's thing and limit the torque I applied...
I've now got 361km on the bike, and am still loving it.

I'm going to do some research on off road riding, and find some gentle dirt roads near me to start practicing on.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,853 Posts
I've got to look in to why my torque wrench didn't do it's thing and limit the torque I applied...
I've now got 361km on the bike, and am still loving it.
I know of No consumer grade Torque wrenches which will 'limit the torque' which you are applying!

They will only 'indicate' when you have achieved the pre-set torque desired. Either by watching a dial, or feeling/hearing a click, or by a vibration in the electronic model handles. You should STOP Turning Now!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I'm thinking I didn't feel it click. I'm going to get myself some replacement fasteners for the two I broke, and some spares for the others I tightened...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've found some of the "cheaper" torque wrenches will sometimes not click... I've returned a couple to Harbor Freight for that issue. The 3/8" seems to be the worst. It makes sense to buy an inexpensive torqe wrench if you only do maintenance infrequently but if you end up wrenching often, spend some money and get a good wrench...especially in a 3/8" and 1/4" version. If you use cheap wrenches, make sure you calibrate your elbow for what an appropriate torque feels like! Oh, also, if the running torque seems high...you've probably cross threaded the fastener. Ask me how I know...

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Welcome to the KLR community. I'll add my .02 about torque wrenches. When I'm working in the inch pound range, if I use a torque wrench I will only use a dial type, not a clicker.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sweet bike and color!

I just bought an '11 from a good buddy I have known since HS, we are 56 now. He crashed in 2018 in a drainage ditch and field that was basically wet grass but I can't say how fast. It was operable after the crash with SWM crash bars but here is the truth of one example. I had it legal in a week but one crash bar is destroyed, both lower fairings are cracked but usable, the upper fairings, center fairing, both front turn signals and one rear turn signal, both mirrors, upper fairing mount, and instrument cluster are toast. I am still working on the coolant bottle bracket but I think it will need to be replaced.

At least I don't need to buy a headlight.

SWM or similar should be fine for a tip over but not much more.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts