Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to run my break-in plan through the ringer to make sure I won't damage the bike before I get to have any fun with it:

-I plan on using the motoman method, which if I am reading the website correctly calls for 10W40 dino oil for the first 1500 miles (first change @ 20, then 100, then 500, then 1500)

-motoman runs + engine braking for ~20 miles (periodically checking for leaks/problems)

-keep the tach needle at least 1-1.5k away from red for the first 400 miles

I've read a good bit of the threads WRT factory vs. motoman method, so not too interested to open up that can of worms... just want to make it past a sanity check. :beatdeadhorse5:

Thanks in advance.......

·
Registered
368 Posts
Kevin Cameron writes the technical column for Cycle World plus some technical articles there. His writing always makes lots of sense to me so when he wrote about break-in I paid attention.

Kevin says that the best break-in would run the engine hard enough to generate moderately high piston forces (to seat the rings) but not so hard that the oil fills up with metal particles. In olden days, machining was not as precise as today and new parts would quickly wear together and put lots of metal particles in the oil. With modern machining, engines go together with smoother parts and closer tolerances than before. This mostly eliminates the worry about overloading the oil with particles. This frees the break-in period for seating rings.

What Kevin Cameron wrote makes sense to me and it matches your break-in plan (and Motoman). I am suspicious of many claims I read on the Internet. I have written books and magazine articles so I know that isn't a guarantee of "fact" either. But my long reading of Kevin Cameron has led me to trust his mechanical chops.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the insight. You've also piqued my interest, i'll be on the lookout for Mr. Cameron's writeups in the future.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts