Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm the newby to this forum. Just purchased my 2011 KTR 650 last week. Really excited about this bike. First thing I want to do is get rid of these cheesy foot pegs and get thicker hand grips. Also would like to get an extended gear shift. This one is way to close to the foot peg. Anyways, glad to be part of the forum. I look forward to learning from those who have been riding the KTR for a while. Anyone out near Fort Sill, Oklahoma?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all ! Let me introduce my self, Jeffx live in a suburb of Mpls., Mn. This is my 8th bike 3rd on-off bike road been riding since I was 12. I have a Harley ya could say that I built in my basement, took me three years ta build. So it's a one of a kind ya could say. When I say Harley it's the heartbeat of that bike, wanted a S&S engine but settled for the Harley in the box. Looking forward ta breaking in my first Kawasaki, not much riding time left here, but with this bike maybe a little snow won't stop me ! Great forum here, looking forward ta keeping in touch with you guys !

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Welcome to the forum OKride! I'm certain you'll enjoy your new KLR as well as the hours of sitting in front of your computer learning about it on this forum. You're right, get rid of the slippery rubber foot pegs and hang something on there with teeth. You must be excited about the bike, even another newbie caught the "KTR" slip. Is this your first bike? Tell us about any others.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Welcome! You're gonna love that bike. Lots of great information and people here are always glad to help.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Serrated pegs make a big difference. I have the $20 ebay ones. And I have the 1" extended shift lever. Also makes a huge difference. And grip puppies for the grips are cheap and awesome.

Welcome!

·
Registered
663 Posts
You must mean KLR ?
WHAT…..? A NewB can not poke fun at a second NewB!!!!! That’s like a triple stamping a double stamp…:12a:

Welcome to the both of you… Please come with new joke’s and new story’s…..
O and feel free to ask all the dumb questions about the bike you can come up with….(There the only ones I can answer) :35a:
Jake

·
Registered
689 Posts
Welcome! Ask anything-folks on this forum are friendly,funny, and a few(not me) are able to help with any mechanical question you will ever have! Wear ear plugs and all the other protective gear!Most of all enjoy your bike!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am the newbie. I just bought a 2010 KLR 650 with 1 mile on it. Now I've been reading all these post's and I see I have a few MODS.,to fix like the Thermo Bob, the Doohicky and get'in rid of the factory oil and changing it like a few times while breaking it in. Anything else anybody would like ta recomend, let the newbie know. Thanks !

·
Registered
663 Posts
Jeff,
ALL THE GEAR ALL THE TIME…… ATGATT

I took a spill a few months back and man it all turns to Shit FAST. But with all of my gear I was unharmed.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I am the newbie. I just bought a 2010 KLR 650 with 1 mile on it. Now I've been reading all these post's and I see I have a few MODS.,to fix like the Thermo Bob, the Doohicky and get'in rid of the factory oil and changing it like a few times while breaking it in. Anything else anybody would like ta recomend, let the newbie know. Thanks !

First bike? Have you had rider training? MSF Basic Rider course is the place to start. Also read David Hough's
it just might save your life!

Have you got all the riding gear? Get it before you start to mod the bike, actually you should have it before your first ride!

Hey you asked!

Oh yea... welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Appreciate all the warm welcomes and add-on directory information. The Grip Puppies sound like they will be one of my first purchases. Anyways today I was out on my first day of Fort Sill basic riders course. We had to ride an oval in second gear without using the clutch. My bike does not like to go slow in second gear. I stalled out once and had to use first for most of the slower runs. Also found out that the bike really likes to nose dive with the front brake applied during fast stops. Nice to learn though, now I just apply a bit more rear brake and ease off the front a little. Tomarrow I will be finnished with the MSF course and will be out exploring the Wichita Mountain Refuge.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh forgot to tell my bike riding story. I grew up North Syracuse, New York, where there are many trails. I started out with a 125cc Suzuki suspension-less 3-wheeler. Yeah I'm that old. Rode the [email protected]#$ out of it, even with a bent axle. Next I bought a 1980's or 90's RM 125 dirt bike that I rode for a while. A little after buying my RM I bought a Tri-Z 250 3-wheeler and had much fun with that fast beast. Havn't sat on a bike since around 1993 until now. Never legally riden on the road, so I'm the pupil that is paying alot of attention in MSF course.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Boy you bringin back some memories… The old 3 wheelers, WOW were they fun… I still don’t understand how so many people got hurt on those? If you rode the bike with respect you did not get hurt….
I had an RM 250 (I had to buy the bike because I test drove it and flipped it over…. HAHAHA) Man that bike was fast.
I dated a girl in Rochester NY not far from Syracuse.
Well now that we know each other, I need to tell you that your feet really STINK…

Be careful on the road…. It is not like the woods… ALL THE GEAR ALL THE TIME.

·
Premium Member
5,596 Posts
Appreciate all the warm welcomes and add-on directory information. The Grip Puppies sound like they will be one of my first purchases. Anyways today I was out on my first day of Fort Sill basic riders course. We had to ride an oval in second gear without using the clutch. My bike does not like to go slow in second gear. I stalled out once and had to use first for most of the slower runs. Also found out that the bike really likes to nose dive with the front brake applied during fast stops. Nice to learn though, now I just apply a bit more rear brake and ease off the front a little. Tomarrow I will be finnished with the MSF course and will be out exploring the Wichita Mountain Refuge.
Welcome to the forum! I was at Ft. Drum for four years and every September we used to go up to Newton Falls for a 4-wheeler/motorcycle run through the woods that was really fun.

Even though the front end may dive, remember that front brake is your friend.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts