Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Tonight I had rabbit, and rabbit food.. Bunny that I shot on New Year's Day slow cooked in a batch of celery, carrots, tomatoes, califlower, and onions.. Pretty darned tasty..

We had freezing rain the other day.. I don't like freezing rain.. It's winter, and it should be SNOW!!! The trails are closed due to the lack of snow.. :mad0235:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Very cool, if I bunny hunt which isn't very often these days I like them roasted and served with poke salad, butter and salt. The butter and salt are the only things I can't get in the woods. I always take salt with me if I am camping.

If anyone reads this and thinks they may try poke salad you should know that it must be parboiled twice to be safe and the water thrown away and then cooked again.. or it can be poisonous. It tastes good, a lot like asparagus and has the same texture and color. It's great with rabbit and makes a satisfying meal.

It's nice to know there is another bunny hunter here. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Squirrel hunting, the most fun hunting I have ever had.. no pressure, all fun and they taste great.

I thought it was revolting the first time I was told about eating squirrel.

I don't like bear meat but as I sometimes encounter them when riding my bike here it makes me feel better to eat some once in a while. I don't like duck either.. like bear meat, to greasy. But as I don't feel threatened by ducks I don't feel the need to eat them.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I love squirrel and squirrel hunting.. My .32 Thompson Cherokee rifle is my favorite squirrel rifle, too..

As far as bear, I've had good and bad.. Bad's pretty bad, but the good was pretty good.. Never know until you're butchering..

·
Registered
357 Posts
Ya know the other day I shoulda gone back and scooped up that woodpecker that wacked me the head and had him for dinner. :21a:
How do ya cook woodpecker anyway??? :confused:
However you cook it....remove the pecker. Nothing worse than a plate of food with a pecker in the middle of it:)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've only had rabbit twice, at AF survival school. It was not the best, but it was also cooked in a coffee can, w/o any seasoning. I could see it tasting real good if it was prepared right.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I could see it tasting real good if it was prepared right.
It's very good, unless you get the old Grandpa rabbit.. Then it's an exersize in chewing..:)

Rubbing the meat with olive oil and slow cooking (with seasonings) is my favorite, but even good old pan fried is fine. Even more tasty to eat during break time at work..:11a:

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
That little place setting looks really inviting!:)

Rabbits are too cute and furry to eat.......

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That little place setting looks really inviting!:)

Rabbits are too cute and furry to eat.......
Many things are to cute and furry to eat, squirrels for instance but they still taste good. :)

I was a vegetarian for over 12 years but I think it's important to stay in touch with worldly needs and I need to eat. :16a:

And lets not forget there are plenty of critters out there that would gladly eat me given the chance. Admittedly bunny's don't pose a risk but they are easier to skin than bears.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
I attempted to eat rabbit stew at Kentucky Derby one year....

I thought the taste was odd and I just couldn't bring myself to continue eating it.

Squirrels aren't so cute but I would have to be starving to eat one, and even then I'd try to find a berry tree instead.

Meat is good......I just prefer cows, chickens and pigs I guess.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think it's that way with everything.

Swish, perhaps it was the way it was cooked. Oh and breaded fried squirrel tastes very good. But I understand the idea of eating one can be revolting as I felt the same way at first. In part for me it was about learning survival techniques. I also did mountain and wilderness survival training many years ago and other than staying dry eating is extremely important and you can't find berries in the winter and many berries are poisonous. Eat meat, stay alive :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts