Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might be making myself pig sick with this thread! However, I'm curious as to how our fuel prices compare to those over the other side of the pond.

To give you my side of the deal; I filled up the KLR yesterday, with 12.43 litres of unleaded fuel, at £1.369 per litre, therefore costing me £17.02 in total.

£17.02 is about $27.30. 12.43 litres is about 3.3 US gallons. Ergo that's about $8.27 per gallon. (I think anyway - it's late over here and my maths has never been great!)

Two questions:

Is my maths correct?

How do your prices compare in the US?

:)

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I might be making myself pig sick with this thread! However, I'm curious as to how our fuel prices compare to those over the other side of the pond.

To give you my side of the deal; I filled up the KLR yesterday, with 12.43 litres of unleaded fuel, at £1.369 per litre, therefore costing me £17.02 in total.

£17.02 is about $27.30. 12.43 litres is about 3.3 US gallons. Ergo that's about $8.27 per gallon. (I think anyway - it's late over here and my maths has never been great!)

Two questions:

Is my maths correct?

How do your prices compare in the US?

:)

Gas in California is about $4 gallon and we're not happy about it!

·
Registered
165 Posts
TailerGuy, are you using Imperial Gallons or US Gallons for your Math?

12.43 Lt = 3.283 Gal

17.02 Euro = $24.49

My price in Peoria, Il for 3.283 Gal is $11.62 which is 8.08 Euros...so

you really didn't want to hear this, did you?

Mac

·
Registered
9 Posts
Cdn Fuel

We are paying $1.259 CAD per liter on Vancouver Island in BC. I think that works out to .91 Euros or .81 GBP (Cant find the symbols!) and $1.279 USD. I think thats just over $5.00 US gallon
Randy

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
We're a little over 4 bucks like Spec said. I used to live in England (my folks lived there for a while) and you guys have been paying out the ass for ever. Ergo, lots of bikes and sensibly sized cars. The folks with giant SUV's are in a world of hurt right now.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TailerGuy, are you using Imperial Gallons or US Gallons for your Math?

12.43 Lt = 3.283 Gal

17.02 Euro = $24.49

My price in Peoria, Il for 3.283 Gal is $11.62 which is 8.08 Euros...so

you really didn't want to hear this, did you?

Mac

US Gallons, naturally! :)

You're right Lockjaw, we've been paying far too much, for far too long. Unfortunately, as a country, we've become too reliant on imports (for all things, not just fuel), ergo we're over a barrel when prices go up! But that's a chat for a different thread, I'm sure!

I've always been in to large engined vehicles (I blame spending my first few childhood years living in the US ;) ) In recent years I've owned a 4.0L Jeep Cherokee, a 3.5V6 24v Mitsubishi Shogun and a 3.2Ltr Vauxhall Vectra. I still own a '76 Series Land Rover (18 mpg if I'm lucky!), but even I've had to succombe recently, due to our fuel prices! I now own a 1.9tdi engined Toledo that I can proudly boast a recent 64mpg average on a 600 mile trip up to Wales and back. :) Very happy with that!

Still, it all just galvanises my thoughts on keeping the old KLR 'til she snuffs it completely! :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
It would be great if kawasaki would come through with the klr in diesel, I thought they where to start this year with the deisel model. Cycle World did a wright up, 98 mpg... From what I under stand the fuel you get in the UK has more power per gallon in comparison to the oxygenated junk we buy (Top Gear fan) if this true your mpg should be better, I know fuel economy is subjective to how you ride but what is the adverage norm for a UK rider? :46: MAN!! alot of math

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It would be great if kawasaki would come through with the klr in diesel, I thought they where to start this year with the deisel model. Cycle World did a wright up, 98 mpg... From what I under stand the fuel you get in the UK has more power per gallon in comparison to the oxygenated junk we buy (Top Gear fan) if this true your mpg should be better, I know fuel economy is subjective to how you ride but what is the adverage norm for a UK rider? :46: MAN!! alot of math
Like this? Yummy.... :

http://www.hayes-dt.com/vehicle-m1030-m2.php

I'll come back you on the mpg, but it's probably fairly good. The Brits are fairly frugal anyway, especially if you include the Scots... ;)

Our top 10 most fuel efficient cars in the UK, (apparently - I certainly wasn't asked... ;) ):

http://cars.uk.msn.com/features/green-motoring/articles.aspx?cp-documentid=147863533

Bloody ugly, most of them too! :)

·
Registered
522 Posts
I filled the KLR up off of reserve last night.

I put 5.104 us gallons in her.
I paid $16.17 usd.
My per gallon cost was $3.169 usd
My avg miles per gallon was 47.79

Large engined vehicles.....less than 4 liters....no, no, no.....

Large engines are 460 cubic inch (7.4 liter) fords, 455 cubic inch chevies, 500 cubic inch caddies, and 440 cubic inch dodges. I consider anything under 400 cubic inches small, anything over large.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The only way to have a fair comparison is to subtract all the fuel taxes then compair only the fuel cost. I know EU and UK pay more tax per unit than US.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts