Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
08 KLR stock stock stock with doo-hickey.
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 08 came to me with a pair of risers installed to move the handlebars forward and up a bit. The risers are some sort of cast aluminum alloy, no name anywhere on them. They are (were) not "Rox" risers.

Yesterday, when I backed the bike out of the shop into the back yard, I got turned around and pointed at the fence instead of the gate. No big deal, just ride in a little circle and out the gate, done that a zillion times no big deal. Except this time wife and neighbor in the back yard chatting/watching. For me, having an audience automatically causes spectacular screw-ups. In this case, as I ride in my little circle, I go across a drainage berm, the engine burps a bit because I was too impatient to let it warm up, and as I clutch, throttle, I'm going over the berm and my feet can't touch the ground. Over I go, full throttle sideways into the crabapple bush. Once they ascertained that my yowling and cussing was only due to slightly bleeding injuries and that I was not seriously injured, the elder-jiving started, to the effect of senior-citizen training wheels can be purchased on Amazon, etc.

Anyways, in my embarrassment and haste to undo my oops, I attempted to lift the bike by the handlebars. The risers broke. Then, I was able to reach under the bike and grab the Dirtracks crash bars and the rear rack, and lug the bike up and out of the crabapple bush. My self-recovery operation was much more difficult with the steering disabled by the busted risers.

I had another set of risers that I bought for another bike, a few minutes and they bolted into the KLR and other than my pride, I was all fixed up like it never happened. This was my first left-side tip since getting this KLR and since installing the Dirtracks crash bars, and thankfully, there was no plastic or radiator damage.

The take-away, if you have those die-cast aluminum handlebar risers, do not lift a tipped KLR by the handlebars.

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
1,418 Posts
Hmmm, I have the rotatable Rox risers and have used the handlebars to right the bike many times. No breakage. Maybe it cracked in the, uh, “incident.”

·
Registered
08 KLR stock stock stock with doo-hickey.
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agreed, the risers may have cracked during my entry to the crabapple bush. Clean and jerk lifting by the handlebars, I had the bike about 2/3 of the way tipped up when the risers broke, and down it went again. Thus providing further entertainment to onlookers.

·
Premium Member
3,896 Posts
This is about the third instance I've heard of regarding broken, offshore risers I've seen....... I'd strongly suggest that if one is going to use risers to get the genuine article, such as Roxx. As an ex-offroad racer, I've crashed literally hundreds of times and I've pretzelled dozens of bars (mostly steel stockers) and even broken on set of new Renthals in half - this is not a place to skimp on quality.

Glad the only thing hurt was your pride and the risers!

2 cents,
Dave

·
Premium Member
8,984 Posts
The take-away, if you have those die-cast aluminum handlebar risers, do not lift a tipped KLR by the handlebars.
My take-away from your incident is, Immediately remove that over-seas JUNK and install the Genuine article from a reputable company like Rox-Risers. Your life depends on IT!
A crack this time could have been a total failure at speed thru a rock pile, along side a cliff, next weekend.

WOW! What JUNK!

·
Registered
klr 650 c
184 Posts
Unfortunately today a lot of stuff is sold without quality control for half a price, for such critical point on the bike one must buy always the best and more expensive thing, sadly even that is not a 100 percent guarantee.

·
Registered
252 Posts
...not to mention that you cannot really "feel" stuff that you buy off the internet; I like to be able to feel the "heft" of items and see if there's some quality before I buy critical equipment - but sometimes all you get from the internet is a very pretty picture.

·
Administrator
3,943 Posts
Thankfully maybe, it happened where it did. Breaking either it highway speed or standing on the pegs on some back road would have not ended the same way. I’d be tossing that stuff.

Reactions: MCP and DPelletier
1 - 8 of 8 Posts