Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well just saw something that really got me more than a little mad! seems that our Sask insurance company wants a 73% rate increase for all types & sizes of motorcycles across the board. It still has to go through the rate review panel, I cannot see this type of rate hike going through but that is what those greedy #[email protected]^# are looking for. PS: That will make the 2012 KLR 650 $141 per month to insure. I don't know what other places rates are like but this size of a hike is nuts!!

·
Registered
901 Posts
Well just saw something that really got me more than a little mad! seems that our Sask insurance company wants a 73% rate increase for all types & sizes of motorcycles across the board. It still has to go through the rate review panel, I cannot see this type of rate hike going through but that is what those greedy #[email protected]^# are looking for. PS: That will make the 2012 KLR 650 $141 per month to insure. I don't know what other places rates are like but this size of a hike is nuts!!

Holy SH*#!!!

I think my insurance for my KLR here in the U.S. is about $238/year...

...You should ask your insurance company if they'll be supplying a jar of Vaseline with the monthly bill, because if they're going to be raping you, you'll be wanting a little lubricant with it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Not an INSURANCE guy

Hey I dont claim to know anything about insurance but is there only one insurance company there? Here in TEXAS I have to shop insurance every year to get the best rate. Try http://www.insurancepanda.com/
HEARSAY-- I knew a guy once that had all his insurance under a big umbrella policy. Dont know how that worked. I had to spread my insurance over three companies to get good rates.
good luck James

·
Registered
112 Posts
Many Canadian provinces (Saskatchewan, Manitoba, BC, maybe more?) have socialized (government owned) vehicle insurance schemes in which there is no competition allowed and insurance is compulsory (can't get a plate without paying insurance).

Here is a quote from local govt web site. Good driving record can get you up to 33% discount. You have to REALLY REALLY want to ride here to pay the insurance.

Quote: $500 collision, $500 comprehensive, $1m liability

Estimate for:
2005 KAWASAKI KL650
2013 Rates
Effective Mar 01, 2013
Basic Insurance Premium
$1,660
Collision Deductible
$0
Comprehensive Deductible
$27
Third Party Liability
$16
Interest and Administration Fee
$0
Total Insurance Cost
$1,703
Registration Charge
$116
Plate Use Charge
$4
Total Registration Cost
$120
TOTAL ESTIMATE
$1,823

·
Registered
265 Posts
Crap keep that on your side of the provincial border. Here in Alberta I pay $290.00 a year and that also includes fire, theft and comprehensive. Collision is 200 more but my 08 has been paid for for may years so it doesn't need it

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Honda VTX 1800c
123 Posts
Ever meet a poor insurance agent ? Ont KLR plpd only $ 192 per year!
Alabama 1800 VTX full coverage $ 164 something wrong with this pic ,but what do you do !

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
If I had to pay those kind of rates I would have to sell my bikes.

·
Registered
452 Posts
i use all state for 2 bikes with 2 riders me and my wife and full coverage and 2 klrs .. i paid 426 bucks for the whole year in colorado i paid 235 in Alaska last year and i was mad ..

i didnt trust progressive with thier constant changing coverage and fees .

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'm loyal to no insurance company but shop around every time my insurance comes due. They're not loyal to us, we have no reason to stay with them.

Am with Geico now as it's least expensive for me and my two bikes (and cage).

I don't trust the commies that run progressive and all state. Nope. Will pay more elsewhere before I insure with them.

Keep looking for better rates.

Here's the truth about progressive:

http://ineverfinishanyth.blogspot.com/2012/03/truth-about-progressive-insurance.html

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Ins companies are like the Mob IMHO....they will squeeze you dry until nothing is left then they will cry poor!
I live an hour away from Sprocket....I pay bare bones minimum $515 a year with 30 plus years of safe riding! Go figure!!!

It all comes down to where you live in regards to population IMHO. If they have a larger base to pull blood money from the numbers climb straight up! If they see not many suckers to squeeze they don't think much about it and are happy with smaller donations.

They are truly theives!!!:WTF:

·
Registered
269 Posts
prepare for shock ... i doubt anyone will beat this retarded rate.
ICBC for my 2011 F800 ...sorry couldnt find the KLR (think it was about 150 less)
base cost $1509
1 mill liability $196
total $1705
40% safe driver discount 7 yrs no claim
makes it $1019 per year
keep in mind thats with no comp/fire/theft ... just liability
and my truck is more. we have to have a seperate policy for each vehicle.
F$%k ICBC!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I was travelling in Sask on Tuesday listening to a popular talk radio show on the subject.

The reason for the increase given by the Insurance politburo is "motorcycles weren't paying their share of claims..."

Mark Twain said, "There are Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics.." or something like that.

Alberta - all insurance is industry choice - for me, licensed since 1974 - no claims:

2008 KLR $2million liability & collision & fire theft etc $430 / 12 months & $45 annual license fee

1985 GL1200 Gold Wing - same cover - $230 / 12 months & $45 annual license fee

My policies are recognized and good in Canada and all U.S. states.

If I were in Saskatchewan - $2000 plus each bike. And that Kawasaki Concours 1400 I would maybe like to add to my stable for a fun ride of an evening or weekend, and take to California in January maybe? It falls into the "sportbike" category - and it is over 1100cc so it would be over $5200 / year - for one bike.

It will be discussed for a while.

It will damage the motorcycle dealerships and repair and accessory businesses.

Simple Solution - take the big money loser motorcycle coverage off the government insurance and let private enterprise look after it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Ins companies are like the Mob IMHO....they will squeeze you dry until nothing is left then they will cry poor!
I live an hour away from Sprocket....I pay bare bones minimum $515 a year with 30 plus years of safe riding! Go figure!!!

It all comes down to where you live in regards to population IMHO. If they have a larger base to pull blood money from the numbers climb straight up! If they see not many suckers to squeeze they don't think much about it and are happy with smaller donations.

They are truly theives!!!:WTF:
I respectfully disagree Willys.

You carry insurance for what might happen in the future, with the price partly based on past experience.

You pay $515 for what might be costing me $200 in a choice system, BUT we are both going to be our insurer's new best friend if we run over someone's 5 year old child by accident.

Government insurance corporations are not insurance companies in the context of shareholder owned insurance companies, where the shareholders agree to place their capital at risk to pay for my accident. When a monopoly is granted it needs to operate properly in a mostly free society... When they need double or four times the premium to provide the same coverage - and we have no choice - that's what gets our backs up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There is only one cure for this problem! Let us in Saskatchewan shop around for different companies for our insurance, "for motorbikes any way". Nothing keeps greedy businesses in line more than good competition.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
IMHO...Ins. rates should go on the rider's experience and past record not by his postal code. This is what gets under my skin. I live an hour north of Toronto in a very rural location......yet I am still easily targeted as a good sucker to punch or squeeze for more money.
Sure I can see living in an urban area as a higher risk, but when I an surrounded by farm fields and water etc and have to ride 15-20 minutes to the closest grocery store....I think I am not what you would call in an urban location!

Their system stinks to high heaven...the government uses the same system to gouge people for emission testing. They are targeting the larger tracts of the population to be able to get more money.

We up here have far less people per square km than below the border yet we pay substancially higher premiums...why is that? The game is the same on the whole except we have a much smaller population to create the accidents.....so why is it they can charge us more?

The whole system is flawed.

·
Registered
522 Posts
If I had to pay those kind of rates I would have to sell my bikes.
If that comes to pass here, I will tgrow out my id, acid wash my fingertips, claim to be an illegal alien, ride without insurance.

I pay less than $150.00 per year comprehensive full coverage.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
216 Posts
If that comes to pass here, I will tgrow out my id, acid wash my fingertips, claim to be an illegal alien, ride without insurance.

I pay less than $150.00 per year comprehensive full coverage.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Motorcycle.com Free App
My vehicle and bike insurance policies also include coverage to protect me and my property from uninsured people.

·
Honda VTX 1800c
123 Posts
Uninsured people

My vehicle and bike insurance policies also include coverage to protect me and my property from uninsured people.
Slow Poke - that is the problem down here this is the big expense ,But as of Jan /13 it,s compulsory to have insurance so who knows where this will go :rightsidecar:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts