Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unless someone else with one shows up, I'll be the sole KLR rider on a ride we have planned for May 17-20 centering in Bryson City NC. We'll be riding The Dragon, that skyway I can't spell that starts with a C, the Blueridge Parkway, etc.

With sport bikes and cruisers in our group of 6, it will be pavement riding but I plan to ride in the ditch whenever possible! If you're in the area please join us!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Our trip is getting close! Last time we did this I was riding a cruiser. I have a little over 1000 miles on the KLR now and have been enjoying every minute of it. I'm sure we'll see a ton of bikes of every make. If you are there and notice a black KLR with Roundels it could be me. Say hi!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2 problems: 1) Got to save some vacation for my ATV adventures and 2) I have a family reunion Sunday May 17 in New Bern.

After I eat and be ever so polite to my once a year relatives, I flat foot it for the mountains. (yea, hauling it out there)

Looking at some of the pictures, I'm not sure I am ready for 'true off roading' with the KLR yet. I have had some experiences on haul / fire access roads that brought the 'ole heart rate right up.

I'd never keep up. Some of this crowd I consider hard core. :16a:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, we made it back in one piece and so did the bike! There were four on crotch rockets, one harley, and the trusty KLR. The bike rode well but that seat has about a 200 mile limiter on it. After that, it's Monkey But city. We spent some time just watching the knee draggers on the Dragon. AWESOME, just not for me!

I arrived first... The cabin:

The KLR on the Dragon:

Really up there!

The speedsters (stand close to a tree so you have something to jump behind):

And everybody talks about 'chicken strips' on the tires. I took the KLR and it's knobby's to my limit. The bike may have done more but not me. The back tire is about wore out at 1780 miles.

The bike drew a lot of attention at the store. Make that the Roundels that drew a lot of attention. One fellow Kawie rider said he had waited to see who was riding it just to tell me he liked them. Every British bike we saw after that stop, we called out "I like your KLR". And if a Beamer auto went by guess what? "We like your KL car"...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts