Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
they seem to be as rare as hens teeth right now. we are riding dirt/sand monday, so i already know the mighty klr will have to slow down--or even stop and wait--while the honda catches up! of course once he gets knobbies he may stay closer...

anybody here ridden the twin yet?

·
Registered
171 Posts
not the twin, but i like that bike. i have a 1200gs adventure, which is heavier.

in my opinion, the KLR will outperform the twin only because it's a bit lighter, and the rider enjoys it more since it's cheaper and letting klr go down won't hurt as much as letting an africa twin go down..

also the 21inch wheel in the front helps a lot! ...

i;m much more confident with my klr than my gs on crappy terrain :D because im not nervous riding it hehe.
when i'm riding klr, i dont care, i just gas that thing, on GS i ride careful so im slow.

have fun! sand is your friend!.

Reactions: klr4evr

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
I agree. I love the Africa Twin but for the price I can buy 2 KLR's and not worry about hurting them.

Reactions: xzatx

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i also agree the low price gives us freedom offroad. and the lighter weight gives us better ability than the typical adv bike, especially in tight trails or deep loose surfaces. once again brilliant minds have proven the superiority of the klr650!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
as you know, work keeps us all so busy that its hard to schedule recreation and its taken this long to actually go riding with the africa twin! oddly it came with very street oriented tires, so it couldnt keep up on the rivers of mud that the rain has created out of our country dirt roads. but wow does it fly on pavement! sounds sweet as it revs too. both of us agree its on the loud side though, and wonder what the forest service will think of it. overall its an extremely nice bike, but i wouldnt have it over the klr because: its less comfortable, less capable off pavement, and is overly technological for the salt, sand, and water that make up offroad riding in florida. just to avoid being one sided, i have to say that its got excellent wind protection, looks beautiful, has good power, and can almost keep a klr650 in sight in nasty offroad conditions!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Haven't got to ride one just yet, but we are prepping our DCT next week so I'll be on it quite often.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah? john also got the dct, says its so great he will never go back to a manual trans. and in all fairness to the honda, i raced bikes for years and john never did, so it could be that the klr isnt so superior--but i will only admit that this one time!

you will LOVE the bike

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have a friend who works the parts counter at one of our local dealerships who is very excited about buying an African Twin. I would agree that there are several very attractive reasons why he would look at the Honda, but as for me: I am devoted to my Swiss Army Knife KLR 650.
True, the KLR cannot do everything, but it is very capable as an Adventure Bike, a commuter bike and just good ol' fun on two wheels!
For the guys getting an African Twin, I hope you find the excitement you dream of. But if she should ever fall short, come on back home to Kawasaki's KLR 650!

·
Lifetime Member
2,482 Posts
I think the Africa Twin is a gorgeous bike, and coupled with Honda's legendary reliability I'm guessing it will be an awesome ADV bike! I kind of put it in the same class as the GS's though and a tad heavy for real off roady type stuff!

Please post up some pics the next time you guys are out trail riding :).

·
Registered
259 Posts
I think we have one in MN right now. I went to my main, favorite dealer, non till August. Another dealer had two on the floor Friday, sold the red same day, now a grey only. I would really like to ride it as I just cannot jump on board without that. I have found that the KLR is the ONLY bike I have ridden that my hands do not go numb despite the vibration. It must be a different range of vibration that does not impact me. If I were to buy a twin and get numb hands than it will be a waste of $$!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Just got done riding the DCT bout an hour ago.

The bike is stable handles well, brakes are good. Bike is strong enough to kick in TC from a standing start. Its smooth, but the parallel twin feeds in some vibs at low RPM. Windscreen, for me at 6'2" 34 inseam caused buffeting for me at hwy runs. She gets up to 90 in a hurry. I like the DCT in "sport mode", it tends to lug a bit in "drive mode". Seat is hard, though positioned well. If I were to buy one I think I'd standard shift.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Did a few sub 5 mph crawls, wow! The DCT does such a good job and the bike is so balanced. If I were doing more off-slab riding, I may opt for the DCT.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i kind of classify it as a new type of bike, between a heavy adv and a light dual sport. its definitely no match for the klr offroad, as proven in our ride. but besides that, it seemed very capable, nice on paved and unpaved roads (except deep muddy ones), and i think its a lot more versatile than a tenere or gs. for the record, when i started looking to replace my road bike i spent a lot of time with the yamaha and bmw dealers. i believe the honda is better than either of them for real world riding in south florida.

the only real issue john has with the africa is comfort. sargent says they will give him a free seat if they can keep the bike for a week!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts