Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
KLR as a canvas.
Been socking away parts and pieces for about 5 years.
Why - Cause I know the KLR, cause its stupid reliable, and cause I'm damned cheap .

1. Start of the vision was the iconic orange KTM style front fender. Cheap as chips for a start. Not much to go on but this is technically my third KTM poser build on the KLR chassis.

2. Scooped up the wheels, forks and swing-arm from an '08, even had the Gen-2 tank but it was a bit rough.

3. Had a frame from an '04 that I think I still have paperwork for -the result of some horse trading.

4. Had some left over parts and pieces -lots of Gen-1 parts since I'm a Gen-1 kinda guy. Including a worn but still worthy dipped Corbin seat.
Scrounged up a Gen-1 wiring harness and had most of the plastics, and some oem front, and aftermarket rear turn signals.
I had that tank of the '08 but ... meh, not working for me.

5. Saw somebody on CL offering up a used KLR motor for a few hundred -it had been set aside for a cart project. No carburetor and no exhaust, but turns out to be a basic runner. Problem was - it was nearly 1000 miles away. So I called a friend in those parts and we worked a deal. Took a few months before I was able to get out there and settle up. Good to have friends. Have a spare cyl that I will be sending out for the 685 treatment with EM. Also got in the T-Bob-3 from Bill Wattman. That's waiting on the big bore.

6. Another KLR buddy had a decent IMS tank he said he'd make me a deal on - turned out to be the frikking 10g monster in natural color. I did have to refurb the internal fuel pump and had to add a petcock, and gas cap (locking oem type). But now have that Exon Valdez of KLR tanks.

7. I did have to buy the black cowling (3dcycleparts has the maier plastics at decent prices). Alas, had to settle for the black one but I may add color swatches using car-wrap orange vinyl.

8. I had a left over windscreen from the V-Strom and I was able to make a decent fit with some cutting and drilling. I kind of like the flip and it works to 65mph so far.

9. Took the crow-bar to the wallet and sprung for a new set of Shinko 805s, new SS brakelines, new handlebars (ProTaper ATV Hi 1 & 1/8th with adapters) and Cycra guards.
Also grabbed the Trailtech Vapor kit with turn signal surround, but haven't figured out the best mounting strategy yet. And I still have the EBC rotor to go on.

Here is the current progress on the Orange Poser.

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I'm using the Gen-1 unitrack and dogbones and the oem Gen-1 shock. The shock is no bueno - the preload adjuster was spun backwards and is wrecked. Since I'm tossing money at this scooter I will likely go for a Cogent solution on both ends.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Man, the side flares on that gas tank are huge! You planning of getting the max air to that radiator for sure!

·
Registered
797 Posts
I would paint the tank leaving witness strips and the fairing. There are some cheap KTMish fairings available.
Yes, I would paint the tank and fairing too. They would blend together better I think.

Reactions: foo and Hvymax

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yeah, I do like the IMS tanks -but they are not without their quirks. They can be a PITA to get the petcock to seal well, and they don;'t like paint or stickers.
But they have proven to be rugged and reliable. When you're well off the beaten path, your dirtbike friends will be extra chummy (small tank syndrome, TBH).

As I understand the IMS tanks - the fumes from the fuel pass through pores in the plastic, and these prevent paints or adhesives from sticking.
Since the IMS tanks do not take paint/sticker very well, I will have to live with the natural color, or explore a fabric cover/skin. Maybe find some sun-safe and rugged nylon fabric in bright orange and black to carry the basic color scheme.

The motif of orange/black and white/natural will have to do for now.

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
...the fumes from the fuel pass through pores in the plastic, and these prevent paints or adhesives from sticking...
I believe that this is an urban myth based upon it being a plausible explanation. It's not correct, though.

If fumes were coming through the plastic, then we could do a few things. We could jam our nose against the tank and smell fumes. We could put a plastic sheet over the tank and see that fumes collect on the sheet, condense, and drip off. We could throw lit matches under motorcycle covers and laugh uncontrollably at the subsequent "WHOOMP" as the vapors ignite, blowing the cover off and turning it into ash. What fun! Alas, we are denied such experimental pleasures.

All materials have surface energy. Plastics can be broadly split into 'Low Surface Energy Plastics' and 'High Surface Energy Plastics'. The surface energy of a material is a measure of how strongly that material attracts other materials at the molecular level. In other words, how well things adhere to the material at the molecular level. Adhesives 'flow' out onto the surface and this makes for great adhesion.

Plastics like acrylic, ABS, polycarbonate, nylon, and PVC have a high surface energy. You can paint them and put stickers on them and the paint and stickers will adhere very well. Sometimes too well, like when the dumb bastiches put the price tag right where you need it not to be and you spend 20 minutes trying to get it off and all you get is a bloody fingernail. These plastics are also easy to glue using common glues.

Low energy plastics are polyethylene, polypropylene, PTFE, etc. Stuff does not stick to these things very well and they also don't glue very well except with some rather nasty glues that you can't really get unless you have a license to glue and enough money to buy industrial quantities. But ya cain't put stickers on them and ya cain't paint 'em. At least not very well. You can peel paint and stickers off really easily, though.

IMS tanks are made out of polyethylene. Gen 1 plastics are all made out of polypropylene (if I am not mistaken. I would have to check the recycle code, but that's what I recall.). If I am mistaken on that, then they are made out of polyethylene, so macht nichts. Gen 2 fairings and tank shrouds (you know, the expensive shit that breaks easily) are made out of nice, brittle ABS.

·
Premium Member
12,006 Posts
IMS tanks are made out of polyethylene. Gen 1 plastics are all made out of polypropylene (if I am not mistaken. I would have to check the recycle code, but that's what I recall.). If I am mistaken on that, then they are made out of polyethylene, so macht nichts. Gen 2 fairings and tank shrouds (you know, the expensive shit that breaks easily) are made out of nice, brittle ABS.
Anyone know what the new Gen 3 plastics are made of yet?

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Interesting perspective Paul.

As a singular data point in support of the urban myth, the first Orange Poser that I put together was based on refurbing my brother's 1987 KLR. Local neighborhood punks (Tucson AZ) had stolen the bike via punching out the ignition and after beating on it they had thrown the bike into a sand wash. What the hoodlums didn't FU, the meth-head tow truck driver FF'd up - like trying to pickup the bike by latching on to a pair of spokes. So the scooter was badly damaged in terms of crushed oem meters, collapsed tank, broken plastics and a few other bits.

I went Orange on the canvas and used an Acerbis street-fighter cowling, Trailtech Panorama meter, and the black 7g IMS tank. This was in late 2004, and the IMS tanks in that era did not have the cool vent slots like the later ones did.

Pics here (many lost in a drive crash -doh!) but you can see the Orange vinyl beginning to lift up and pull away. Tried several iterations and different vinyl but the outcome was the same.
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Automotive lighting Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle

A riding buddy out of Vegas had the very same IMS tank, but in natural color. He used a similar vinyl product that looked like carbon fiber -and his stuck without issue. When I asked him for the secret - he said "Look close, I literally put about 900 pin holes in the vinyl before mounting it -that gives the fumes an escape path and they don't build up and ffff-up the sticky backed vinyl."

So, just a counterpoint supported by a very small data set, and from now 15 years back.
Whether due to low surface energy or leaking fumes, I agree your technical explanation does fit my experience. The other buddy who made it work -may have been due to technique, materials or just luck.

Manufacturing materials and techniques are likely to have changed over that time frame, but that reflects my experience with the 2004 black IMS tank (no vent slots).
YMMV. :)

EDIT:
Theft recovery, the '87 had previously been refitted with plastics and tank from a '98 bike - but then the hooligans ...
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Premium Member
4,832 Posts
Tom is correct IMO.....and yes the Gen1 plastic is polypropylene which IMO is far superior to the Gen2's ABS. I don't know what the Gen3's are for sure but I strongly suspect it's ABS too.

As far as the color scheme goes; I actually like the natural with the orange and think it goes much better than any attempt to paint or sticker the tank. In fact it was the factory color of many KTM tanks too;
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive tire Motorcycle

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Orange_Poser #2 ... coming together

Scooter is mostly finished -
Gen-1 frame & subframe
2001 motor and 685 BB kit, and T-bob.
Gen-2 header, Leo Vince pipe.
Opened air-box (L-cutout), Uni filter.
KLX needle w clip on 2nd slot, #42 Pilot, #142 Main, air screw at 2 turns.
Gen-2 forks, Cogent refit - springs, emulators and preload adjusters.
Gen-2 swingarm, with Gen-1 pivot & dogbones.
Gen-2 brakes front & rear, SS brake lines, FR 320mm disk w EagleMike adapter, EBC pads.
Cogent Moab shock.
IMS 10g tank with oem petcock.
Gen-1 headlight and cowling.
Trail-Tech Vapor for meters.
Wired for GPS and accessories (fused circuit via 12v ACC relay triggered from horn circuit).
Ricochet aluminum skid to reduce rock punctures.

Went with the Tusk rackless luggage as its rugged, adaptable, and within my budget.
Seat is the dipped Corbin which is ok for long distance (with a sheepskin pad) and lets me get a foot down easier when deep in the rocks.

Next objective is the CDT ride - should launch that next week.
Switched to the 16T counter-shaft sprocket as I need to ride 1160 mi to the starting point (Folsom CA to Antelope Wells NM). Then will put a new 15T on there.

And with a buttload of road miles to chew through - I did opt for a Gidibii oiler. I have one on the red scooter and its been easy and reliable.

·
Premium Member
12,006 Posts
Next objective is the CDT ride - should launch that next week.
Switched to the 16T counter-shaft sprocket as I need to ride 1160 mi to the starting point (Folsom CA to Antelope Wells NM). Then will put a new 15T on there.
At Oregon Buttes/Lander Cut-off road/South Pass (city? haha) area you will be with-in 42 miles of our shop. Lander Marine & Cycle, if needed.
That is going to be quite a ride.

Wishing you safe travels. :)

·
Registered
2022 Kawasaki KLR 650 Adventure
149 Posts
Wow simply incredible! I honestly have never seen a tank like that! It looks like a woman who is in desperate need of a breast reduction surgery! LOL.....Awesome job! Keeping what otherwise would have ended up in the junk heap alive and well and taking epic adventures! Good on yah!

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Shakedown ...

Naturally before the big Adventure I had to do a shake down run with full luggage and gear. Rolled up 290 miles on the day, with about 120 being super-slab on I-80. Did about 50 miles of gravel and some 2-track. Bike performed flawlessly, and the 685 BBK gave plenty of passing juice, even through mountain passes at 7000ft.

Did stop briefly for a dirt sample in a powdery corner of 2-track -doh! My own durned fault -as I was still running 28lbs RR and 30lbs FR. :)

Shinko 804/805 set actually did very well, sketchy on gravel covered hard-pan, but manageable if your stay loose and let the bike move around. They do a good job of biting where it counts, rear drives forward nicely even in the sand and fine power. Front was capable of sticking on side hills and inspired confidence -they also worked very well when leaned over and touching the pegs. These will be used up on the way to Antelope Wells, but will switch to the Motoz Tractionator GPS Rear and Tractionato Enduro front.

The rear fender and luggage/wheel did catch some spittle from the oiler - stands out with a coating Sierra dust. Not gonna worry about the oil spray as I have that monster highway section to get through.

Road-side spring off Highway 49 just past Sierra City CA.

Yuba Pass on Highway 49.

Lookout on 49 above Sierraville CA.

Stopped for a granola bar and water from the Camelback -remembered this little campsite from years back.

And stopped again for the dirt sample. DOH! Picked her up and was on my way again. LOL - having fun yet!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts