Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Amen - Smithneck Rd is bit of a hike but its one of my favorite trails ... where the valley grasses give way to forest, and the smell of sage intermingles with fir and pines and the butterscotch scent from the Ponderosa pines, and the aspens twitty in the slightest breeze.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Fun stuff. Did you go all the way to Truckee on S860? Been a while since I went to Truckee that way. I used to have a 1970 Scout 800A that I drove up in that area. Stampede and Boca. I live in Chico, and I went to High School in Yuba City. Me and my friends all had street bikes and we spent quite a lot of time up on 49 Downyville and the Yuba River area. Did you drop the bike around 14? ;)

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Used to live in northwest Reno and would ride Dog Valley nearly all year -deep snows not withstanding.
For Sunday I took S860 to where it meets with Dog Valley Rd - then rode that all the way into Verdi NV. Bunches of quads and few jeepers out on nice Sunday afternoon.

Its about 16:30 where I dropped the KLR. The Forest Service and BLM have partnered with local 4x4 and offroad groups to remediate vehicle damage to meadows and hill sides. This section had changed over the last decade. Wanted to explore more, but running solo with a loaded bike, another day.

·
Premium Member
11,528 Posts
Looks like a Great route for a Sunday afternoon ride!

Did the bike pin your Right leg down for a bit, in that lay-down?

Looks like even the bicycles didn't agree with that powder bed very well!

• Haha
Reactions: foo

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Allow me to confirm -that for unknown reasons, I have discovered some orange paint on my riding boots.

So, yes, was I was slow to jump off. LOL

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Well, I'll need to start a separate thread for the CDT ride, but we're having big adventure. Must have been off pure good luck that our trip coincides with a 50-100 year rain pattern. And me without a dang snorkel. :ROFLMAO:

Heckuva ride...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Started the run down to AZ and then NM on Thursday 8/18, but there were some serious storms that led to flooding and washed out roads. Had to reroute several times due to road closures and whatnot -but at about 4PM on on Thursday 9/1/2022 we touched the Canadian border. We used the gpskevin tracks (not the best IMHO) and tried to cover 2 tracks per day, running from south to north.

·
Premium Member
11,528 Posts
Dang it, you missed me. Was probably running short on time due to those earlier road closures.
Ride Safe.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts