Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of maybe buying this KLR to fix. Not sure though what happened to it, still waiting for that info. What bothers me though is the safety. I don't want to risk my life just for saving some bucks by buying a fixer upper.

Here's what the seller says: Motor, frame, seat, forks, gas tank etc are all good. (It will start.) Front cowling unit is gone (Guages are intact). Mirrors broken. Handle bar is bent. Needs new headlight. Needs new rear wheel rim.

The guy wants 1400 bucks (canadian) for it. Now it's to determine how much it'll cost to fix it up.

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
I considered that bike and decided against it. There are just too many unknowns that you have to take the word of the owner for. If the frame is bent it's junk. It's likely been written off so you will have to get it certified to put it back on the road. More $$.
His estimate of the repairs is a little on the low side I think.

·
Lifetime Member
2,481 Posts
I would personally pass on it... By the time you fix it (some big $$$ parts required like the back wheel and fairings) you could have bought a bike that didn't need any work. Plus if the forks or triples are tweaked, and it's sometimes hard to tell just by looking, your really screwed. I bought an Ascot once with a tweaked front end, looked fine but turned out to need triples, forks, front wheel, and rotor... Parts would have been way more than the bike was worth so I ended up selling it for parts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I saw this one already, too many km's though for the price IMO.
I'll wait until the right one shows up on kijiji. We currently have 2 ft snow here, not much bike riding anyhow.

·
Lifetime Member
2,481 Posts
Yup, seasons toast. FWIW though, 10k is nothing for a KLR and I've never seen a Gen2 go for under $4k. Happy hunting.

Edit: Never saw a Gen2 go for under $4K in Canada I should have said, you can get them cheaper in the States.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I bought my 08 six months ago for $3800. It had 800 miles. Keep looking, you'll find a motivated seller with the right bike.

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
When 650 Stew said:
I've never seen a Gen2 go for under $4k.
he was talking CDN dollars. Bikes sell for a lot more here than the USA. If I was living in Crowsnest area I'd probably be looking to find one just over the border.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts