Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a 2013 Klr 650 from a local dealer that has 4,254 miles on it. The asking price 4,999. However, the front tire has some tire rot on it. Dealer said he'd throw in a new tire for an additional $100. All in all I was told that after tags, title and the tire He could do $5,280 on it. I'm curious as to if this is a deal worth taking or not? Doesn't look like the bike has ever been skidded or dropped. I might also have a nicer helmet thrown in as well with for that price. Should I pull the trigger or wait for something better?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts

I'm looking at buying a 2013 Klr 650 from a local dealer that has 4,254 miles on it. The asking price 4,999. However, the front tire has some tire rot on it. Dealer said he'd throw in a new tire for an additional $100. All in all I was told that after tags, title and the tire He could do $5,280 on it. I'm curious as to if this is a deal worth taking or not? Doesn't look like the bike has ever been skidded or dropped. I might also have a nicer helmet thrown in as well with for that price. Should I pull the trigger or wait for something better?
You can get a new tire for less than $100. BUT you would have to put it on yourself.
Here's a couple for sale here in N.H. FWIW
National Powersports Distributors Inventory - 1-603-410-4120

·
Registered
541 Posts
I used to work for a powersports dealer. We would never, ever sell a motorcycle with a bad, dangerous tire. That alone would have me thinking twice about dealing with them.

Motorcycle prices by type vary by region. Also used bike listings vary just about as widely; in fact, NADA has the 2013 KLR650 retailing at $5085 and KBB has it retailing at $4390. In my region (west central Florida) I have no 2013s in CL and 1 in Cycle Trader (cool yellow one) for $3999 (but it has 35K miles). However, I'm seeing several very low mileage dealer 2015s from $4,999 to $5,399 (asking). Right in your price range.

Personally, while I think you could do better price-wise, I think...for that price...you might be better off doing yourself better bike-wise. After buying my 2016 KLR650 I commented how much better the suspension and seat was than what I'd read about the model and expected. I was informed by guys on this forum that Kawasaki greatly improved those two features with the 2014.5 model KLR650. If you've got between $5000 and $5500 to spend I'd say go look for a 2014.5+ model with the improvements. However, I go back to my initial comment, prices may be very different than those in my area.

Good luck!

·
Lifetime Member
2,483 Posts
Seems a little high to me considering you could get a new one for not a lot more. Personally I'd keep shopping :).

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
In that price range, shopping for a 2014.5 or later "New Edition" appears prudent, IMHO. The better suspension remains something of value; the improved saddle of some merit for some riders, also.

Charging $ 100 to replace a tire's no bargain/gift, again, IMHO.

Yet, if you like the bike for sale and want it, not the worst deal ever made--you should have the advantage of the dealership standing behind the merchandise, versus a private, "as is, where is" sale.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts