Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Without argument we can probably agree that I know a little bit about cold weather riding. I recently rode to and from our cabin in the Bush on the snowmobile at better than -30 degrees both ways. I stayed there for a week waiting for a break in the weather and it never came. Rather than use up a months worth of wood in a second week I rode home. Now we're talking 80 miles at 30-40mph in -35* temp.

What's the point? First gear Kilimanjaro Jacket and F.G. insulated pants with a pair of Joe Rocket Ballistic insulated gloves is what I wore.

The body and legs were perfect! The hands? I don't know what would have worked for them but they got cold.

I wear this stuff riding my KLR here in weather as low as 20* and it works and works well. So if you're thinking about buying cold weather gear, take it from a guy who poops ice cubes................... First Gear is the gear.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Why aren't you using snowmobile clothing? Or are you trying to utilize one set for everything??

In those temps...you are nuts!! lol I haven't been out for a week....-30 plus with wind chills...plus,..... no real reason to go out.....I hate winter!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Why aren't you using snowmobile clothing? Or are you trying to utilize one set for everything??

In those temps...you are nuts!! lol I haven't been out for a week....-30 plus with wind chills...plus,..... no real reason to go out.....I hate winter!
This coming from a guy who lives in canada :60:

I ride when it is seasonably warm as well, Was out yesterday, rode to the store and it was about -2, add 60 mph and you got a good wind chill. I mostly use the carharts with other stuff under them.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I gotta agree.. Snowmobile clothing is the way to go.. I rode for 6 hours last night in 10 degree weather, with 20mph winds and was completely comfortable..

Gear?? Polaris

(Ok, I was on my snowmobile, but it's still being outside in the elements, at 60mph)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have found that sleds and bike gear doesn't cross over as easily as you might think....
Last sled I rented was a 'Cat 660 turbo 4 stroke..very nice, could not nail the gas in corners because the skis came off the ground....the heated handlebars were nice and my feet were under the cowling getting cooked..temp was about 10-15F

My KLR (unfarkled) and 77 BMW are much colder at 20F requiring much warmer gear to ride...

Thanks for Hardyreel's comments I have not tried my FG Killi4 and HT Pants on a sled but thought they would do a great job...

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Last sled I rented was a 'Cat 660 turbo 4 stroke..very nice, could not nail the gas in corners because the skis came off the ground....
Must have been studded??? I spin all the time, but I've got a track with 4600 miles on it and it's not studded.. Studs are great where traction's an issue, but I love hammering corners and having the rear end swinging out, so I've decided not to go with studs.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Must have been studded??? I spin all the time, but I've got a track with 4600 miles on it and it's not studded.. Studs are great where traction's an issue, but I love hammering corners and having the rear end swinging out, so I've decided not to go with studs.
yep, track was studded....
another feature I liked was the compression braking from the 4 stroke. At first it was an annoyance but when we got on a small single track trail thru a heavily wooded area, it was nice to blip the gas and let the engine brake as needed, never had to use the brakes

·
Registered
147 Posts
www.klim.com The Klim gear is by far the best gear I have ever owned it has removable pad's. That can be handy, all the zipper's are waterproof and of course wind proof it is real light weight and there is not a liner it's a pair of fleece sweat pant's you can choose to wear or not check them out top of the line product full line clothing and boot's.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like mine best without all the pads. The pads make the jacket uncomfortable especially at the elbows. I know some people will fret over removing the pads but it was either that or not like the jacket.

Perhaps I have a false sense of security but since I no longer ride beyond my abilities I don't see a long rolling slide in the future.

·
Registered
147 Posts
It is clear and dry today and I could not wait to tryout my new heated grip's and I really have not been able to go ride much since my pipe and carb/airbox mod. Oh yeah did I mention it's 24 deg. also haha but I rode 40 miles. WOW I am impressed with the power gain from my mod's this thing ripp's for as heavy as these bikes are I am very pleased.
I wore my klim gear the stuff is awesome the only thing that got cold was my cheek's I wear a motocrosss helmet with goggles I am gonna look into some other type of helmet.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm a cheap skate, I bought a Scorpion EXO 400 new for 85 bucks and love it! It doesn't fog up and keeps my big pumpkin warm.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts