Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2009 that has all of the sudden started in with this buzzing sound. It starts at about 20 mph. It does not appear to get any louder. It just kicks in at about 20 mph. I searched the forum and got some ideas. Most of the threads talked about areas around the fairing. All of the screws that I have looked at that are fairing related appear to be tight. But then again I am not really sure the tightness I am looking for. Could there possibly be any issues on some other section of the bike? It starts, and rides fine. The oil level is sufficient. It is really more of a nuisance than anything. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated. One more thing there is about 4600 miles on her.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Festis,
my bike seems to make all sorts of weird noises, some more annoying than others.
Try finding a traffic-free area where you can ride along at maximum "buzz" and push / pull on bits of fairing or screen or side covers or the rack until you touch something that stops or changes the noise and go from there. Parts that touch but are not supposed to or are supposed to be firmly attached to each other but have lost a fastener can cause buzzes that come and go at certain RPMs...
Could also be your tires... knobbies make all sorts of noises depending on how fast you're going.
Friend just put a dunlop 606, slightly oversize, 140/90 17 on the rear and no amount on bending can stop the plastic chain guard from rubbing against it just enough to create a rally good "buzz"....
Most probably nothing serious.
Good luck with it......

iddy

·
Registered
120 Posts
Have you done anything recently to it? After changing a headlight mine started buzzing. It was a wire vibrating against the fairing.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Festis,
my bike seems to make all sorts of weird noises, some more annoying than others.
Try finding a traffic-free area where you can ride along at maximum "buzz" and push / pull on bits of fairing or screen or side covers or the rack until you touch something that stops or changes the noise and go from there. Parts that touch but are not supposed to or are supposed to be firmly attached to each other but have lost a fastener can cause buzzes that come and go at certain RPMs...
Could also be your tires... knobbies make all sorts of noises depending on how fast you're going.
Friend just put a dunlop 606, slightly oversize, 140/90 17 on the rear and no amount on bending can stop the plastic chain guard from rubbing against it just enough to create a rally good "buzz"....
Most probably nothing serious.
Good luck with it......

iddy
Hey Iddy,

You were absolutely correct !!!! It was that piece of plastic that surrounds the gauges. I was just riding along and said I am going to try Iddy's suggestion. Well low and behold it was the first piece of plastic that I pressed on. THANK-YOU !!!!!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hey Iddy,

You were absolutely correct !!!! It was that piece of plastic that surrounds the gauges. I was just riding along and said I am going to try Iddy's suggestion. Well low and behold it was the first piece of plastic that I pressed on. THANK-YOU !!!!!
Excellent news,
Glad I could help.
I've stuffed bits of high density foam in between bits that buzz or look like they might rub or chafe, got to keep fighting the long term effects of vibration with these bikes!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts