Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Dumb thought, an old trick my pappy taught me to get a tight pair of rubber hand grips on was cornstarch... don’t know the science, but it worked. I wonder if a powdered lube would work better? Or maybe graphite? I wonder how they’d work if water got in?
I could be wrong but I would be willing to bet that graphite will not last as long as a petroleum based product for a cable lube. Regarding hand grips I've always just used soapy water to get stubborn hand grips on. You need to give the soap a little time to dry but when that soap dries you'll have a difficult time moving that grip from it's last resting position.

The original makers (PetroChem) of 'Cable Life' lube invented & patented the clamp on 'tool'. Motion Pro slightly improved the 'tool' from 1 clamp screw to 2 clamp screws after the patent expired.

There is also a newer Motion Pro luber that works on some odd cables as well as on normal cables.
You are the man. I am continually amazed about your knowledge regarding just about everything motorcycle. How nice it would be to have a book in my hands of all you know regarding motorcycles.

I have not received any monetary compensation for my previous statement. 😄

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
I use the Motion Pro luber and, yes, WD40; - I'm certain that there may be better cable lubes out there but the proof is in the pudding; I've been using WD40 on cables for over 40 years on up to nine bikes at a time. I would lube our race bike cables before every race to ensure that the effort was minimized - If you've ever raced a an offroad race where you pull in the clutch 4 gazillion times in 4 hours, you'll know why this was important! I'm anal about my controls; bars need to be 100% straight, levers set perfectly, cables lubed, etc.

I also have a spare clutch cable zapped strapped to my original on one of my KLR's but I've yet to have to use it.

2 cents,
Dave

·
Registered
330 Posts
I also have a spare clutch cable zapped strapped to my original on one of my KLR's but I've yet to have to use it.

2 cents,
Dave
Wanna hear something weird? I was in a motorcycle dealership one time speaking with a salesperson when the topic came up regarding hydraulic verses cable clutches. I told him I know of several guys that zip new cables to the old in case the old were to brake in the middle of nowhere. His response, believe it or not, was: "Really, I've never heard of any one doing that." I thought to myself "Where have you been?" but I didn't say anything. Guess I didn't expect that would come out of the mouth of a man who sells motorcycles for a living - and he's previously claimed, to me, he's sold motorcycles for a lot of years. It takes all kinds.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts