Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are any of you CA owners running with or without the Evaporative Emission Control System. I'm running with mine on and I don't think it has any affect on the performance but wouldn't mind removing the clutter , as I see it, for anything worthwhile.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Doesn't hurt the performance of the bike at all. If you keep the bike in your garage it does capture any fuel vapors. At the least it keeps your garage from smelling like gasoline. If, like most Southern California garages, this is also where your gas fired hot water heater and furnace are . . . use your imagination.

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
I have a Pre-Gen KLR and removed the smog stuff years ago. I park in the garage and don't smell any fumes. (My XR400 is another story) I'm fairly sensitive to the gas smell.

Bluehighways does have a point though that is worth considering if you do this. I'm using my imagination and totally get what you're saying.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Doesn't hurt the performance of the bike at all. If you keep the bike in your garage it does capture any fuel vapors. At the least it keeps your garage from smelling like gasoline. If, like most Southern California garages, this is also where your gas fired hot water heater and furnace are . . . use your imagination.
To dampen the fear factor a bit: garages in the other 49 states are similar to those in California.
My Goldwing, KLR, lawn mower, edger, chain saws and spare gas cans are all in the garage along with the water heater.

·
Registered
389 Posts
To dampen the fear factor a bit: garages in the other 49 states are similar to those in California.
My Goldwing, KLR, lawn mower, edger, chain saws and spare gas cans are all in the garage along with the water heater.
True. Odds are you won't get a flat tire from running over broken glass. OTOH, I generally try to avoid it if and when possible.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Getting rid of clutter, and a little weight is a good thing. No water heater in my garage lol.

It’s on my list of to-dos along with de-snorkel.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Pulled mine off years ago and used the space for a tool tube.

Every once in a while in hot weather I can smell fumes around it. But no performance change at all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts