Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks,

I've been maintaining a map of San Francisco Bay Area dirt roads I know of, and a couple people I met at the Santa Rosa tech day expressed interest in seeing it. So I put it together, and of course got all distracted with my maps collection and meager web skills, and before I knew it, it was a web page:

http://beej.us/motorcycle/

The Unexpected Dirt Roads map was the one that started it all, but I'm actually more proud of my George A. Wyman route map. (I still plan to ride through the train tunnels and snow sheds up at Donner Pass to recreate that bit of the trip.)

All maps are in KML (Google Earth) format, with a link on page to view it in Google Maps in the browser.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
366 Posts
That's awesome! Thank you.
One more resource as well for those that have Apple products, (not sure about android) is the "Oh, Ranger" park app. It allows you to choose OHV and will come up with the closest areas to your location. It's handy for when in areas you are not familiar with.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Good Afternoon Beej,

It was great doing the "Do" next to you at the Tech Day. I was unable to view the maps. What is the easiest way to do so?

Snakeboy66

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Hello again Beej,

Never Mind....I have figured it out.

Snakeboy66

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was great doing the "Do" next to you at the Tech Day.
Likewise! My bike hasn't exploded yet, so those veteran wrenchers must have known something about working on KLRs... ;-)

I was unable to view the maps. What is the easiest way to do so?
Hmmm. They should show up in the browser if you click on the little "map" icon next to the filename. Is that not working? (Setting that up with Google Maps is sort of voodoo, so it's perfectly within the realm of possibility that I botched it. Also, I only tried it on Chrome—I'll give it a shot with another browser.)

Otherwise, get a copy of Google Earth (free), download the KML files by clicking on the links, and open them from Google Earth. Google Earth rules for these sorts of things, anyway. :)

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Dude!

These are sweet. When do we ride?

Snakeboy66

·
Registered
5 Posts
Living north of Santa Rosa (Cloverdale) those are wonderful!!!

I do have another for you I have traveled twice so far (Only had the KLR a short time) and that is Fish Rock Rd off of Hwy 128 just prior to Boonville. It turns to a fire road type dirt road for quite a while and rather fun!

Sam

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do have another for you I have traveled twice so far (Only had the KLR a short time) and that is Fish Rock Rd off of Hwy 128 just prior to Boonville. It turns to a fire road type dirt road for quite a while and rather fun!
Good find! I added it to the map. The Google streetview car has been down it, so I was able to find the beginning and end of the dirt, even.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts