Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't help but think I want to sell my KLR and take up bicycling for my "later years". OK, laugh if you want (I'm only 40), but I really need to get into better cardio. shape, and though the Killer does keep me in good (better) mental health, it's not doing a damn thing for my heart, weight or muscles. I should be able to do both, but my hystory proves otherwise. Given the choice between jumping on the 650 and doing a 200+ mile loop into the hills and gearing up to huff and puff at less than a tenth of the klr's speed, and I chose the mode with the enging every time. :p

Some will surely say "follow your heart", others will say to simply dump it and move on and others still will tell me to keep it and do both. Keeping both is likely what I'll end up doing, but not because I want to ride both. Hell I haven't ridden the klr in weeks. No, I'll likely keep them both simply because I've got so damn much money sunk into the Kawi. that I'll take a real bath on the sale. My other option is part it out.... Strip off all the crap I've bolted to it, sell it separately and then sell the stripped klr alone.
That is just too much work!

Yeah, it's late and I'm tired. :roll:

-T

·
Registered
603 Posts
Hey Timbo,been there.Keep the scoot and buy ya a bike.You may not be ridin now,but you will.Mine sat for the first time in a year for more than a week,but when i climbed back on,oh ya.I have a jamis mountain bike that i was on almost daily,it now sits.Moods change with time

·
Registered
425 Posts
I plan to ride some form of motorcycle until the end, or as close to the end as possible. Which I hope is still a ways off, I just celebrated (or hated) the big 3-0 and now I think I will quit counting :wink: But keep the bike, they are supposed to make you feel young. I must be like 19 or something, I'm working a deal with daytona harley on a '05 softail custom, like I need another bike. If they actually made you younger, guess I'd be in diapers again :lol:

·
Registered
251 Posts
klrmike said:
Hey Timbo,been there.Keep the scoot and buy ya a bike.You may not be ridin now,but you will.Mine sat for the first time in a year for more than a week,but when i climbed back on,oh ya.I have a jamis mountain bike that i was on almost daily,it now sits.Moods change with time
Like 650 said. I've got both myself and don't ride either one as much as I should, but I'm keeping them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Good time to start. I'm 56, try to ride bikes several times a week, early before work, then the gym with my son in the afternoons. KLR is for solo adventures.

·
Registered
331 Posts
EEEEEWWWWWW-you were definitely in need of sleep---40--later years!!!!????I'm 48(not afraid to tell) and I keep thinkng --my grandmothers lived till 92--I've really only lived half my life so far--got lots to go and do---get the bike--keep the KLR! I guess I was never much of a bicycle girl--grew up on a farm -lots of hills -so dad fixed us up with horses and dirtbikes-wonderful childhood---and those little tiny up your butt seats--ouch-maybe if I could get a corbin seat on one I might think about it-------------NAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWW--keepin my KLR and droolin for an 08-----I kinda like the green ones. Maybe blue :? ----see , I have too much to think about let alone "later" years----after raising 5 kids the last thing I want to think about is getting old right now--it's freedom time!!!!!!!!!!!!!! These KLR 's are such a stress reliever for Mike and I and they keep us young!! Kay

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In my family 40 years is old. My dad died of cancer at 53, my mother 70 of pneumonia, my uncle at 70 from lung disease and another uncle at 60. So you see, I'm already over the hill. :lol:

I did get a little (70 mile) ride in this morning before work, out to the coast and back, and it felt pretty darn good. Partly because of this thread and partly because it always feels good ride the twisties out to the beach and back once in a while.

I might have to make this a regular thing. :p

-T

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yeah, you've got to keep both. Especially if you've "farkled" the KLR THAT much! Besides the pleasurable trips to the coast and thru the twisties, having a vehicle that gets over 50mpg is a pretty good thing these days.

I actually bicycle more in the winter up here than in the summer. I live near the bike trail that's groomed for skiing and ride it after it firms up. Doin my little part to lessen the air pollution challenge we sometimes have up here in the winter. I'm runnin Nokian studs on my ol Klein. Fun. MH

·
Registered
331 Posts
So sorry about your family :( --I can't imagine losing all of them by 40-I see how you feel now--and how lucky I am to be going to TN to visit my parents next weekend--but all the more reason to have both bikes-live life to it's fullest---Kay

p.s. My hubby went thru his mid-life crisis last fall(that's what I tell him) and bought us both our KLR's --I liked his crisis!!! :lol:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Timbo said:
In my family 40 years is old. My dad died of cancer at 53, my mother 70 of pneumonia, my uncle at 70 from lung disease and another uncle at 60. So you see, I'm already over the hill. :lol:

I did get a little (70 mile) ride in this morning before work, out to the coast and back, and it felt pretty darn good. Partly because of this thread and partly because it always feels good ride the twisties out to the beach and back once in a while.

I might have to make this a regular thing. :p

-T
Sorry to here of this Tim. I can understand how you might feel. You've already taken steps to live as long as you can. Keep it up. Don't sweat the future to much. Enjoy all the time you have and befor you know it you'll be 90.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Keep the KLR for fun and ride the pedal bike for health. I bought a KLR a year and a half ago (could finally afford a motorbike after a 15 year hiatus). I've been commuting to work by bicycle for 15 years and I love it - sun, rain and snow. I just fly by all the traffic that grinds the car (and the KLR) to a halt. The worse the weather is, the more I grin as I pass the cars that are stuck on the roads. I am rarely tempted to ride the KLR to work instead of pedalling - I enjoy the workout too much. The KLR is for weekend fun!!!

I'm 36 and don't have time to go to the gym to work out. The pedalling keeps my cardio in great shape, and when I go hiking in the high mountains with my friends who work out in the gym but don't pedal, I am forever waiting for them to catch up.

So: ride both bikes!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Keep the bike! In the cooler months during the week when it gets dark I hit the excerise bike...just an idea :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Do both...

the bicycle will help you be a better motorcycle rider. A lot of the MX'ers use them for training. Are you looking at a road bike, a cruiser bike, a mountain bike, or a hybrid? If it's a hybrid..... I saw this screaming deal on a site that sells tactical gear.... The frame is 22" so you'll need to find out if it'll fit you but I don't think you'll ever beat the price for the gear.

$299 http://us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/botach_1880_9842002

Fuji Police Patrol Bikes

Fuji has been an innovative leader in the bicycle world for decades. This same innovation is now available in the form of two specially designed bicycles for Police Departments, Security Units and EMS Services.

The Fuji Police Bikes are designed to take punishment all day long and then do it all again the next day. The Fuji Bikes are designed and built from the ground up to serve as constant duty police bikes. When you buy a Fuji Police bike, you are buying a bike that has been specially designed for your needs.
Click to enlarge

Frameset Police Patrol
Sizes 22"
Color Gloss Black; Navy Blue
Main frame Fuji Altair 1 aluminum with PowerDiamond down tube, top tube/seat tube gusset, down tube gusset, double water bottle mounts
Rear triangle Fuji Altair 1, custom tapered 7005 aluminum with S-bend MonoStay, Cold forged dropout with CNC'D disc mount and replaceable hanger
Fork Suntour XC-60, w/ 75mm travel
Drivetrain
Crankset TruVativ 5D, 22/32/42
Bottom bracket Sealed Cartridge Bearing, 113mm
Pedals Wellgo steel cage double sided with clips and straps
Front derailleur Shimano Acera, 31.8mm top pull
Rear derailleur Shimano Alivio
Shifters Shimano Altus EZ Fire brake/shifter, 24-speed
Cassette/freewheel Sram 5.0, 11-28T 8-speed
Chain Shimano HG-50
Wheelset
Front hub Formula ATB oversized sealed Al, 36H w/QR
Rear hub Shimano 8 speed cassette, RM40, 36H, QR
Spokes Stainless Steel, 14 gauge
Rims Alex DM-18 aluminum double wall, 36H w/machined braking surface
Tires Kenda, K-841, Police Knite Glo reflective sidewall, 26 x 1.95"
Tubes Kenda HD Schrader
Features
Tape/grip Fuji Kraton dual density gel
Saddle Fuji MTB with Cro-Moly rails
Seat post Fuji aluminum micro-adjust, 350mm
Seat clamp Fuji aluminum 31.8mm Quick Release
Others Two water bottle cages, Rear aluminum carrier
Frame Weight 4lb / 1.82kg
Weight 32.0lb / 14.55kg
Brake set ProMax forged aluminum, linear pull
Brake levers Shimano Altus EZ Fire brake/shifter
Headset Ritchey Aheadset threadless w/30mm spacers
Handlebar Fuji aluminum ATB, w/ bar ends
Stem Fuji Threadless powder coat aluminum w/ removable faceplate

Only 25 Units Available At This Price
First Come, First Served

Fuji-PPpadPrice: $459.00padSale Price: $299.95pad

·
Registered
477 Posts
Just keep adding bolt ons to the bike, thats kinda like exercising, then when your done, go riding......Just a thought 8)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Timbo said:
I can't help but think I want to sell my KLR and take up bicycling for my "later years". OK, laugh if you want (I'm only 40), but I really need to get into better cardio. shape, and though the Killer does keep me in good (better) mental health, it's not doing a damn thing for my heart, weight or muscles.
Funny, how when we hit 40, suddenly we want to make all these big changes in our lives. I'm no longer 40 (sigh!), but I've been thinking about simplifying my life for some time now. Stripping my life down. Less "stuff". Less need for a big place with a garage and room for all the "stuff" I've accumulated over the years, more ability move around the world and adventure. Sell all my stuff -- KLR, etc. -- and light out for the Territories with what I can fit in the trunk of a car.

Best thing to do, when you get these middle aged urges, is to ignore them. They're always a mistake, just the sudden realization of mortality incentivating you to do something stupid. Do it and you'll regret it until the day you buy another KLR. That's just how it works. Turning 40 is like turning 14 -- suddenly you just go nuts. What is it with these ages with 4 in them, anyhow?!

_E

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
kbetts said:
Are you looking at a road bike, a cruiser bike, a mountain bike, or a hybrid? If it's a hybrid..... I saw this screaming deal on a site that sells tactical gear....
Thanks, but I've already got the bike.. It's a HP Velotechnik (Germany) "Street Machine".
It looks like this but without all the bags and junk.
http://www.pbase.com/canyonlands/image/56850647

-T

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Placed the ad (again).

Well, though I know from past experience it won't sell, I went ahead and posted my '05 on Craig's List today. :cry: Chances are that just as soon as anybody replies with a serious offer I'll yank the ad. :p Still, it's there.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/mcy/218279864.html

Of course I realize I'm asking a LOT for it, but then it's got a LOT on it.

-T

·
Registered
10 Posts
Timbo, I'm with the guys who say buy a bicycle and do both. Back when I was 41 (55 now) I took up bicycling and pedaled off 60lbs. Never felt better. Sadly, I was so "into it" that I burned myself out and...well...you know... So moderation is good and that means pedal a bike and ride your KLR the rest of the time. You can do yourself a world of good pedaling just 30 minutes a day if you put effort into it. I recommend visiting a proper bicycle shop and looking a decent quality bike fitted to your body size. Bicycle fit is crucial to getting the most results from your efforts with the least pain and potential damage to your body.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts