Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im wanting to adjust the cam chain tensioner and I think it is as simple as loosening the bolt on the housing (located on the rear left of the engine) and allowing the spring to take up the slack and then re tightening the bolt.

Does anyone have experience with this adjustment?
My engine is making ticking sounds:stickpoke: that are coming from that housing so I want to eliminate that noise so I can move on to and correct other annoying engine noises that my crappy dealer (I purchased it new 7 months ago) wont take care of.
Does anyone know if Kawasaki Motors has been contacted regarding lousy dealer support on KLR engines?
Thanks
klrmichael

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Cam chain tensioner is self adjusting via internal spring and ratchet mechanism and does not require periodic maintenance. Do not loosen the mounting bolts unless you want to take it all apart and reset it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cam chain adj.

Flash,

Thanks, I wont take that apart then, but that leaves the question, how do I stop the noise coming from that housing?
klrmichael

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
If you are SURE the noise is coming from that then take it off and look for anything broken, worn, or missing. Not that complicated but I'd have a manual nearby.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, Thanks for your help, I will double check that its coming from there first.
Phil Carmichael aka, klrmichael

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
Your bike, but . . . it's still under warranty.

If you plan exploratory surgery, you might engage a DEALER; doesn't have to be the one from whom you purchased the bike.

Why? To protect the integrity of your warranty.

My opinion only; YMMV!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I know what your saying, Im not one to screw up something for no reason so I will look before I leap. My dealer has a robot for a service writer " there are no known issues with this engine.." and he repeats that phrase several times during our conversation, he is a nice enough kid but I fear he is being coached to say certain things to KLR owners with noise complaints and that doesnt stop me from feeling protective of my investment.
Just because they wont/cant hear it doesnt mean it isnt there.
Besides, I love my KLR, my second one and this new generation is a better machine, love it and wanna treat it well. "exploratory surgery" great way to put it.
Thanks again, klrmichael

·
Registered
378 Posts
+1 agree with Lone Rider, if under warranty do not open the case , because that will void it very quickly.

If you are sure the sound is coming from the left sign of the engine (which should be there when not moving) then the he engine chain tensioner may require adjustment, if it never has been adjusted.

I have a bike off warranty and I was hearing a similar noise so I followed the directions of the Clymer manual and the youtubers on how to remove and install an upgraded torsion spring for the engine chain tensioner (aka doohickey) because the stock spring did not have any tension left (hence the noise). I used the eagle mike manufactured one.

Take it to a dealer and then to another for a second opinion.

Also if the noise is only there when the bike is moving, it may be just in need of a chain adjustment.

Finally, how frequently do you lube the chain?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts