Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, can anyone tell me please the procedure for adjusting the cam chain or is it automatic ?? my hand book says nothing about it ! my bike is 1988 klr600 b4 its not making any noises just curious :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
They are auto adjuster. It is a spring loaded plunger that pushes again the chain slider guide. As the chain wears out the chain tensionor is supposed to take up the slack and keep the motor in time.

There is a couple of things you can do:

You can pull the ten. and clean the lock in it and reset it. The pluger and lock will freeze up because of junk build up and the pluger will not exstend to tighten the chain.

OR you can get a after market manuel ten. and replace the old one.

You could also be hearing the doohickey chain rattling also...has this been replaced?/

Kurt

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
klarkekent -

It is automatic. You can see the outside of the tensioner on the left side of the engine on the leftish backside of the cylinder.

Tom

·
Registered
101 Posts
Here's a quick way of checking it:

Leaving the ten. mounted in the head, remove the center big bolt (slowly).
There is a spring right behind the bolt, so make sure to catch it as you remove the bolt.

Remove the spring. Take a small center punch that will fit in side the bolt hole (center punch should have a flat piont on it). The center punch should touch the end of the pluger in the ten. Take a small hammer and tap on the end of the punch. If the pluger is frozen this should knock it loose and tighten the chain.
Replace the spring and bolt and start the bike and check for noise.

Kurt

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cam chain

Many thanks for the info Kurt, I have checked and the tensioner is working as it should, the balance chain also seems to be ok, bike has only done 11k miles and has a sweet engine , just want to keep it that way !!:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts