Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...I'm a little more educated since my first hasty post. I know there are no KTMs. I'm looking at buying either an '08 or an '03 KLR 650. I understand the '08 is a Gen2 bike and the '03 is a Gen1. What is the difference in the Gen1 and Gen2, and can 10% ethanol gas be ran in these bikes? Thank you again...aj

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts
Firstly welcome to the Forum.

In answer to your question. No problem on 10% ethanol in a KLR, old or new. That being said if you can buy gas without ethanol that would be a better choice for just about anything with a carburetor. I use ethanol fuel if I'm on a trip and will be going through it quickly. If the bike is going to sit for a while I'll use fuel without the ethanol.

Differences between the Gen 1 and Gen 2 bike is primarily cosmetic. There were some improvements in spoke diameter and other things I can't remember. The 2008 bikes were plagued with oil consumption issues. I personally wouldn't by a Gen 2 model older than 2011. Given the choice between the 2008 and the 2003 I would buy the 2003.

Reactions: medford2

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you sir. Both bikes were priced about the same ($3000). The only advantage of the Gen2 bike that I've read in here was the doohickey. Surely with over 10k miles on it, the '03 owner had probably fixed that. Thanks again

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts
Don't make an assumption on the Doo being done. You want to be sure of that on the 2003. The Gen 2 models had an upgraded Doo from the factory but the springs were junk so you weren't really any further ahead.

Reactions: medford2

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
The gen2 has:
Two headlights instead of one for twice the light
Stronger spokes
Larger radiator
Better break lines and a dual piston rear caliper
Stronger doohickey
Better forks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts