Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm old school, whenever I get of the 08 KLR I turn the OEM petcock to off. The bike has sat in the sun for a couple days. It has been hot here in Texas 100 degrees. The metal on the bike was pretty hot when I went out to it. Started ok, but died down the street. Opened the gas cap, no rush of air. Would start with choke. With the choke on, it ran got it running down the road, eased the choke off and it ran fine. Now problems at all now. Just got back from a ride and it ran great. Any ideas? It has always had non ethanol gas, and is ridden at least 5 days a week, usually everyday.

The way it acted reminded my of the old days when the cars had carbs, and would occasionally vapor lock. Is that possible on a KLR? Or is it a dirty carb?

·
Registered
895 Posts
It's a gravity feed fuel system. Vapor lock refers to a instance where the fuel in the fuel pump warms up and becomes a gas. Happened when fuel pumps were mounted to the engine block.

Sounds like you had a little dirt in the carb and the bike just digested it and spit it out the exhaust.

·
Lifetime Member
2,482 Posts
I was going to suggest tossing a little Seafoam in the gas tank in case you had a bit of water in the gas.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I agree with Toney that the term vapor lock comes from mechanical fuel pumps mounted on the blocks of automobile engines and usually near the exhaust manifold getting so hot that the gasoline in them vaporized and they were unable to pump the vapor.

I have experienced something similar on only three occasions on my KLR. On those occasions the weather was extremely hot and I sat and idled for very long times due to wrecks at rush hour on freeways twice near downtown Houston and once on the Mississippi River bridge at Memphis. I am certain that the gas in the tank was near boiling and this hot gas got even hotter in the float bowl next to the very hot exhaust pipe. The bike still idled fine, but when the traffic cleared and I opened the throttle a little to move on, it sputtered and lost power at over 1/8 throttle. I think the hot gasoline was boiling off as it went from the higher pressure in the float bowl to the lower pressure in the carb venturi and with the needle jet full of bubbles not enough fuel could get through. As I moved on and got some air moving by the float bowl I was able to give it more and more throttle until after about 3/4 mile it would take half throttle.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Every time I drop my KLR it refuses to restart until I wait 5 minutes or so. Don't know why, but it has happened enought time that I now automatically take a rest break after picking the bike back up on the side stand. Probably doesn't answer OP's question, sorry.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Every time I drop my KLR it refuses to restart until I wait 5 minutes or so. Don't know why, but it has happened enought time that I now automatically take a rest break after picking the bike back up on the side stand. Probably doesn't answer OP's question, sorry.
Most likely flooded some gas from the float bowl into the carburetor throat while on its side causing a flooded situation in a hot engine. I pick mine up and open the throttle wide open and crank the engine over to clear out the excess gas. After about five or six turns it fires right up and I release the throttle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts