Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2009 KLR 650
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These came on my 2009 when I purchased it end of last year. I suspect the previous owner added them around 2018 or so based on discussions that he realized theyd help save the farings. I’ve looked online and through images but can’t seem to find these. Thanks!

·
Registered
KLR 2014 Gen 2
130 Posts
I have Mastech brand bars, which look similar but yours seem better because I see buttressing pipes where mine has none.

Here a pic of mine for comparison.

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
1,398 Posts
Looks like my SW Motech. Google that and compare.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I was going to echo Pete's thoughts about them looking like SW Motech bars; however all the SW Motech bars I've seen use gusset plates whereas the bars in your picture use pipe for bracing.

Sorry, not much help.

Jason

·
Premium Member
8,882 Posts
The frame Clamp just ahead of the footrest mount does look like the newer version of SW Motech (I think).
Sorry, but I haven't paid attention to gussets or braces.

Reactions: Hvymax

·
Registered
2002 Kawasaki KLR650 A16
25 Posts
They are most likely Team Alba Racing bars. Out of SoCal, They still make them for the Gen 2 Bikes.
Check the center front frame mount, do they have rubber grommets that the bolts go through?
I have been researching whether they fit on a Gen 1 and contacted them about it. They don't.

·
Registered
KLR 2014 Gen 2
130 Posts
Mastech bars use plates as means of buttressing the structure, whereas your bars use pipes as mentioned here

Closeup of my bars showing metal plate gussets in place

·
Registered
2009 KLR 650
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all! Much appreciated. I’ve been comparing them to pics online and the Alba‘s are a dead ringer. They look similar to the Motech but it’s those pipe gussets that were different. Again, much appreciated. I didn’t see the Albas on my image search at all.

Now to find out if they only sell in pairs 😂.

·
Registered
2009 KLR 650
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’m also happy to see in the image above that it looks like they will be compatible with my Happy Trails skid plate since it looks pretty similar.

·
Registered
2009 KLR 650
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It will require some cutting of the rear end of the skid plate. The vertical piece impacts the crash bar and the flat part hits the circular connector from the crash bar to the frame. It requires removal of at least one side‘s crash bar to even get the skid plate in place.

I have it mounted now with the conflict and think I might be able to loosen it up and cut it in place on the bike to get it to fit correctly.

·
Registered
KLR 2014 Gen 2
130 Posts
Just realized these Alba bars are great because these do not bolt on to the foot peg bolts, but by separate, to the frame.

The foot peg bolts are just good for that, foot pegs , not strong enough for anything else.

A closeup to this mounting point will be appreciated.

:) (y)

·
Registered
2009 KLR 650
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here’s a close up on mine. The attachment to the frame is made with two separate halves of a 360 circular clamp to surround the frame. each is held together with 2 hex head bolts. You can see in the image where I’d have to trim the skid plate to allow it to sit properly. Probably cutting out about 1 1/2“ square or so on each side. I thought it might be able to remain like it is but it really messes up the bolting and required longer bolts. Probably would lose about 1/2” ground clearance too. I’ll get it fixed, hopefully this weekend.

·
Registered
KLR 2014 Gen 2
130 Posts
Thanks for the photos. I see where you needed to work on the plate for it not to interfere with the crash bar mounting point.

My Crash Bars (Mastech brand) bolt on to the foot peg bolts. Did not know there were other crash bar brands that would not bolt onto these foot peg bolts.

Alba Racing brand are great in this respect. Others should be as thoughtful as Alba Racing.

Same as the Center Stand. Some do like CS, some do not. I do like it, ideal for parking the bike on a trip specially when full of cargo on it , the side stand is not the best thing to park a laden bike, the center stand keeps the bike steady.

Not to mention working on bike on the road. I wish there was (perhaps there is , let me know) a center stand that would mount to the frame as opposed to the foot peg bolts.

I took my Center Stand off after finding out the foot peg bolts on my left side were cross threaded.

Crash bar, foot peg and center stand, too much for throat flimsy bolts that have a small welded nut as housing.

Alba Racing is the best crash bar and only one I know of that clamps to the frame as opposed to the foot peg bolts !

·
Premium Member
8,882 Posts
You can see in the image where I’d have to trim the skid plate to allow it to sit properly. Probably cutting out about 1 1/2“ square or so on each side. I thought it might be able to remain like it is but it really messes up the bolting and required longer bolts.
The extra protection for the oil drain plug is worth the spacing required by the ALBA mounting clamp IMO.

I use 1/4 & 3/8 inch rubber spacers between the frame rails & the Ricochet skid plates that I mount to KLR's, to achieve the same.

Reactions: DirtMTB

·
Registered
2009 KLR 650
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Appreciate that and it’s a great point. By my measurements the drain plug will still be well protected with the HTP skid plate when mounted in the standard config. I also have their impact kit which has 1/4” rubber between the plate and a ~5/8 stall mat between the skid pl and the bottom of the motor so the oil drain plug (tusk low profile) should be good.

The other issue is that with the extra distance between the frame and the plate is that the mounting bolts are about 30 degrees out of plumb and I’d need extended bolts. I think that it wouldn’t be that strong in a hard impact with the can’t on the bolts and hangar.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts