Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to replace my brake pads front and rear. My rotors are not bad looking they have no groves or anything like that. I didn't know if they could or should be turned or sanded down or scuffed with sand paper or what? The reason I am replacing them is because they kinda squeal a little when I brake both front and rear and I don't know because I just bought my bike used but I think they are the original pads. I saw toyo or something like that on the back on one of the front pads.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
The squealing is coming from the pads squared edges rubbing against the rotor when braking. Bevel the leading edge of the pad in the direction of the rotor. This should cure your squeals. As far as I know rotors are too thin to surface. If there are no grooves or issues, the rotors should be good to go.

·
Registered
272 Posts
can motorcycle rotors be resurfaced?

Definitly too thin for surfacing. but we do de-glaze rotors with a good brake clean juice and scotch-brite. A must when you change brands of pads to ensure the pads bed in properly.
different companies use different compounds and recipies in the pads, most are not compatible with each other and the stoppin power will suffer.
I have some scotch-brite pads for a die-grinder to spin em up.
I have known folks to use sand paper too, seems to work okay.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
You got good info, but I wanted to add (probably unnecessarily) that if you use sand paper make sure it is a real fine grit. I use the scotch brite pads (not on my KLR yet, but often on my Honda). Works good, can't do any damage. I always make sure I scuff it up in one direction, not random scraping. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts