Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that in 09' Kawasaki changed the piston ring design to reduce oil consumption. Does anyone know if the rings can be used on the 08's piston?

cheers

Robert

·
Administrator
8,284 Posts
In '08 Kawasaki changed the piston and rings. Who knows why; there wasn't anything in there that was broken...

The '08's started to burn oil, and Kawasaki fixed things under warranty with a new ring set and replacing the cylinder.

I'm betting the '09 rings are those rings they used on the warranty repairs on the '08s, so they should fit back on the '08s.

Only thing is, many '08 owners report that after a few thousand miles the engines starts burning oil again. The 'new' new rings may not be that much more effective than the 'old' new rings.

Tom

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
heya Tom

I got this info from the wikipedia entry about the KLR650

2001(?) Final assembly shifts from Japan to Thailand. All major parts still made in Japan.

2007: New shift lever

2008: New fairing design, new instrument panel, redesigned handlebar control switches, new bar-end weights, revised powerband, revised suspension has reduced travel but with less static sag, new rear swingarm, new turn signals, larger petal-style vented brake rotors, new twin-piston rear brake caliper, increased radiator capacity, fork diameter increased from 38 to 41 mm (1.5 to 1.6 in), new headlight similar to that used on the Kawasaki Ninja 650R, larger luggage rack, firmer seat, larger-diameter wheel spokes increased from 3.5mm to 4mm. Stator "alternator" upgraded to 17 A output, providing an additional 36 watt capacity.

2009: New piston rings are thinner and have more tension, resulting in a significant reduction in oil consumption.

cheers

Robert

·
Administrator
8,284 Posts
I think that was the same thing they said about the '08; I'll have to go check the ronayers microfische.

Interesting.

tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts