Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hit something going to work yesterday morning going about 35 and got a little bent on the front wheel. My question is can this be fixed or do I have to buy a front wheel. I don’t have many options for dirt bike shops in my area. Anyhow is this something I can fix?
Tire Bicycle Bicycle wheel rim Wheel Bicycle wheel

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycle wheel

·
Registered
2022 Kawasaki KLR 650 Gen 3
109 Posts
I would try first, a brass drift and a hammer and try to tap it back into shape. Then ride it and see how it feels. If it feels a little "wonkie" then it may need to go to a bike shop and checked for straight and true. Make sure to use a large diameter brass drift, not a punch.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I had a similar bend in mine, so I loosened the spokes in that area and used a 2x4 and 4# sledge to bend it back to shape. Supported the other side with 2x4s and I hit it gently at first, but wound up wailing on it. The rim is bent out too, so measure the width to get it straight. Tightened the spokes and trued it and you can't tell where it was.
If you don't have truing skills you can try a drift or 2x4 with a big hammer and get most of it out without loosening the spokes. Those rims are tougher than they look !

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a similar bend in mine, so I loosened the spokes in that area and used a 2x4 and 4# sledge to bend it back to shape. Supported the other side with 2x4s and I hit it gently at first, but wound up wailing on it. The rim is bent out too, so measure the width to get it straight. Tightened the spokes and trued it and you can't tell where it was.
If you don't have truing skills you can try a drift or 2x4 with a big hammer and get most of it out without loosening the spokes. Those rims are tougher than they look !
yeah I thought about trying to do it with a hammer and wood on both sides. I’m thinking first I will try with 2x4 on both sides and a big C clamp and tighten it down and see if the wheel bends back into shape. Plan is to let air out of tire and try it before removing the tire from the wheel

·
Premium Member
KLRs: 2013, 2005, 1998; 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
2,567 Posts
I've tried to flatten and straighten KLR rims. the rims are made of a really tough aluminum alloy, maybe 7075. You will need to use a lot of force to get a little result, so be prepared to really crank or whack on it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Does it ride any differently?
If not then maybe you can just leave it alone.

I hit something going to work yesterday morning going about 35 and got a little bent on the front wheel. My question is can this be fixed or do I have to buy a front wheel. I don’t have many options for dirt bike shops in my area. Anyhow is this something I can fix?
View attachment 36190
View attachment 36189

·
Premium Member
2022 KLR Adventure
426 Posts
You got some dry rot on that rubber too. I'd just replace both and call it a day. Not worth taking any risks.
Damn, I wasn’t even looking for it on a 2022. Maybe I better plan on changing my front when I do the rear next weekend.

Ill check my date code but I’d guess these have been sitting in their warehouse since they killed the line in 2018.

·
Registered
2022 KLR650
988 Posts
Yes, that wheel can be pounded out and reshaped. It’ll take some muscle to bend that sucker back out. Use a block of wood & the biggest hammer you can find in the garage.

Next time, run 30-33psi in the front tire to prevent that from happening again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Aluminum does not like a complete stress reversal, which is what you would be inducing by bending the rim back to shape.

Instead I would replace the rim and lace it to your existing hub.

Jason
that is what I have thought about doing as well. I know the front is a 1.6” wide but I don’t know how many holes it has in it to order a wheel.

·
Registered
'08 KLR
325 Posts
that is what I have thought about doing as well. I know the front is a 1.6” wide but I don’t know how many holes it has in it to order a wheel.
Every KLR from Gen 1 to 2022 has 36 spokes for each of the front/rear wheels. OEM front rim is $360 USD. You could maybe go with a Warp 9 but you'd have to contact them directly - they don't specifically list anything for the 2022, though a bare rim that would fit any other KLR should be able to be laced to your hub. If you're capable of lacing/truing it yourself, I'd consider buying a used front wheel from any year KLR off the bay, disassembling it, and lacing the wheel to your hub - though you're probably not going to get a black one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You got some dry rot on that rubber too. I'd just replace both and call it a day. Not worth taking any risks.
Crazy to see dry rot already I bought bike new in October of 21 and have around 8k miles on the bike now. Is always stored in garage since new.
Every KLR from Gen 1 to 2022 has 36 spokes for each of the front/rear wheels. OEM front rim is $360 USD. You could maybe go with a Warp 9 but you'd have to contact them directly - they don't specifically list anything for the 2022, though a bare rim that would fit any other KLR should be able to be laced to your hub. If you're capable of lacing/truing it yourself, I'd consider buying a used front wheel from any year KLR off the bay, disassembling it, and lacing the wheel to your hub - though you're probably not going to get a black one.
Yeah from the research I have done this far warp9 or excel do not list a specific rim for the klr650. I am sure it can be done I will be giving them a call today to find out more information on which one is needed and what spokes. It looks like the same oem part number for 2022 and 2018 bikes for the rim itself.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts