Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would suggest you send it to Woodies wheels in Denver. Pounding on a bent rim is not the correct approach to take with any laced wheel. To correctly do it you need to loosen the spokes and press the bend out not pounded it out. You start pounding on a wheel you’re just gonna create more problems for yourself. To press the bend out the spokes on the opposite side of the bend need to be loosened, to take the pressure off the bent side so it can be moved out, it is a complicated process to do it correctly.
but if you don’t care pound away and don’t be surprised how untrue the wheel will run

·
Premium Member
12,006 Posts
I'll bet your front tire pressure was lower than you suggest.
I'd simply Ride it, unless you can feel it badly on asphalt.
I had 13 rim edge dents on a KDX420 front wheel, never felt them on dirt.

If I was to replace the rim Only, I'd opt for a 1.85" wide aftermarket rim.

·
Registered
255 Posts
can’t tell because of how bad the cupping of tire is. I am getting ready to install new front tire soon
Sounds good. I would put the new tire on and see how it rides. You could also just jack the bike up so that you can spin the wheel to see if it is out of round or out of true. I hit a softball sized rock on my way to work last month. The rim and tire are ok. I hit it pretty hard. I probably had about 28 psi in the tire. I was probably going a little slower than you though, I think maybe 25mph.

·
Premium Member
4,832 Posts
All I can add is that rims are WAY harder to bend back than you think and that I've ridden dozens of offroad bikes with similar dings in the rim with no ill-effect. On the pavement, at high speeds, the bigger worry would be the rim being out of true or out of round.

Dave

·
Registered
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
158 Posts
Thats called a "taco" every single bike I have owned has had at least one of those! Nothing to worry about - but if you are going to try and "fix" it I suggest you make a large wooden die.

·
Registered
Klr 650
14 Posts
I hit something going to work yesterday morning going about 35 and got a little bent on the front wheel. My question is can this be fixed or do I have to buy a front wheel. I don’t have many options for dirt bike shops in my area. Anyhow is this something I can fix?
View attachment 36190
View attachment 36189
If you ride the rocket to work every day and I’m sure it’s a Ali rim I’d consider changing it as aluminium Is like a woman it doesn’t let anything slip and hates stress if it’s steel they are more forgiving

·
Premium Member
12,006 Posts
If you want another pound or two of Un-sprung WEIGHT, just install an HD inner tube. But ya' still need to keep your air pressure up Enough to avoid rim dents or pinch flats.

·
Premium Member
2002 gen 1 street-ized commuter special--Flatland Flyer--
133 Posts
chk with woodys wheel works denver co

21 - 32 of 32 Posts