Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suggestions

Hi everyone, I came down from Vancouver in December, down baja into central Mexico and now on my way back up. I’m in Austin and I’m trying to decide whether to go east to the southern states or to Colorado and Utah. I’m leaning to the later becuase the Pikes Peak hill climb is on June 24th and I thought I could try getting a job working on it. Anyway I was wondering if someone could point me to off-road or single pavement roads in the Colorado direction. I’m not fond of the large highways here and would like to do more off-road riding anyway. I don’t have a GPS however. Also would love to meet other riders, gets a bit lonely on the road sometimes. Thanks take care

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi I’ve been on the road for about 6 months now game from Vancouver down Baja to central Mexico and now on my way back up. I’m in Austin currently and wondering whether to head east or north to Utah and Colorado. Would love to meet up with other riders for advice companionship etc. Trying to understand these forums as well apologies if I’m in the wrong place. Take care, mark

·
Premium Member
7,021 Posts
Find a larger bike shop down there and acquire 'Butler Maps' of the states you are interested in. Butler Maps are aimed at motorcyclist's who wish to take the 'roads less traveled' like yourself. They will show you both asphalt and dirt routes.

Have fun, ride safe & we hope you occasionally find a riding partner. And welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Texas has a boatload of small county roads, farm roads and ranch roads, but they're not all straight and without a gps you could starve out there.

When I want to ride from Houston to Colorado Springs on non-interstate roads I go over to Austin then US 71 to Brady, TX , then US 87 to Clayton, NM, then US 64 to Raton, NM and then I-25 on up.

Consider getting a gps or maybe your phone can help.

·
Administrator
3,609 Posts
No you're good where you are as far as the Forum goes Mark. Like to hear about your travels. A ride report would certainly be interesting. Did you blog your trip somewhere?? If you find yourself heading through central Alberta let me know. The home brew is always cold. Tools for maintenance if required.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright I’ll take this recommendation from Austin. Haven’t been recording the trip no, just my own journal entries this time. Thanks for the advice here guys I really appreciate it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts