Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, somehow or other the rear brake never released from the rotor, and I didn't notice until a brother rider pulled me over. The pads were smoking with the heat generated. Pulled the pads off the rotor no problem, but then found that the brake doesn't work. Tried bleeding it, but no fluid came out of the nipple? The fluid was on the low side, but not that low. So two questions.
1) Is this a coincidence?
2) And most importantly, how do I fix a brake that refuses to be bled? Have I screwed the master cylinder?
Thanks in advance to any wiser heads than mine. Cheers all.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Rear brakes? Make sure that the floating caliper plate glides smoothly in the caliper assembly. That floating caliper plate is supposed to have grease in the bushings, but if it isn't there, the floating plate sticks to the caliper and the brakes are in a constant "squeeze". Take a look at these threads and see what they say about rebuilding the rear brakes, especially the floating caliper plate. Keep us posted and good luck!
Brakes. All about KLR brakes. Stuck halfway through reassembly of rear brake caliper, Rear Brake Pads Wear at 8,250 miles

·
Premium Member
12,006 Posts
Tried bleeding it, but no fluid came out of the nipple?
Remove the bleeder nipple & confirm that Both of its holes are Open. If they aren't capped they get plugged up.

The master cylinder piston may not be retracting far enough to uncover the "TINY" relief port under the plastic elbow, towards the top. Therefore the caliper continues to drag the pads.

·
Registered
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
158 Posts
I have had some fun with brake bleeding! First step is to push the pistons right back into the calliper so there is less volume to fill in there, prime the brake line with the banjo bolt OFF the calliper. Just little gentle half strokes on the brake pedal/lever. When you see brake fluid start to flow out - connect the banjo bolt back onto the calliper. Now remove with brake bleed valve on the calliper completely. Using a syringe fill the calliper to the top level of where the bleed valve is. Replace bleed valve. Should be easy from here - might need to pump the brake lever a hundred times but eventually you will get some pressure and then it is downhill from there. Of course there is reverse bleeding as well...

·
Premium Member
KLRs: 2013, 2005, 1998; 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
2,731 Posts
Rubber brake lines can swell internally and block fluid return to the master cylinder after you release the brake. If your other troubleshooting doesn't uncover the problem, check the brake line for free flow. Hell, check it anyway, as long as everything is apart. And consider changing to the SS braided line.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts