Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Are you having problems getting both pads into place? The piston will retract with a little force (sometimes more than a little)...

You might need to pop off your brake fluid res. cap to allow space for the fluid to go.. If that's the case, you might have to drain a bit of fluid from the res. too..

My suggestion is to stick the old pads back in, and take a large bladed screwdriver and stick it between the pads. Twist that bad boy to force the piston's back into the caliper. Use the old pads so you don't scratch the pads of the new set.

The piston will go, but sometimes they're tough.. Take your time and give everything a good look..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ended up just buying a C clamp and using that. Worked great. I was skeptical that there'd be enough room for the pads even once the piston had been fully compressed, as it was only protruding about an eighth of an inch from the caliper in the first place, but apparently that eighth-inch was enough to cause a problem.

Now I've got a final question regarding my front brake job, but I'm going to start a new thread to ask it. I like to make it easy for future forum searchers to find what they're looking for.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts