Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The big ol' clunker GPS I use in the car is too heavy and bulky for the bike, so after much head scratching and researching I bought a Garmin Nuvi 2555. I'm not as happy with it as I am with my GPSmap60CSx, but it works - in the car.

On the bike, I can't see what's on the screen for glare. Has anyone found a practical way to shield the screen so it can be seen while riding ?? I haven't got - and wouldn't pay it if I did - $700 for a dedicated motorcycle GPS.

Thanks................Lar.

·
Lifetime Member
2,481 Posts
I had the same problem using my car GPS on my KLR. I had boughten a cheapy mount off ebay, it worked but didn't allow you to move the GPS other than rotating it on the bars. Sadly, I took it off before I worked out the glare problem, but it was suggested to me to make a visor/shield out of inner tube or something and zip tie it onto the GPS. I'm thinking it would work if I ever put the GPS back on.

Something like this but on a smaller, simpler scale. Might work depending on the way the unit is mounted.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I had the same problem using my car GPS on my KLR. I had boughten a cheapy mount off ebay, it worked but didn't allow you to move the GPS other than rotating it on the bars. Sadly, I took it off before I worked out the glare problem, but it was suggested to me to make a visor/shield out of inner tube or something and zip tie it onto the GPS. I'm thinking it would work if I ever put the GPS back on.

Something like this but on a smaller, simpler scale. Might work depending on the way the unit is mounted.
Yah, I've been thinking along those lines, but I got the Ram mount for it and the unit itself is very thin. So far I haven't figured a practical way to make it work.

Thanks........................Lar.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Sun Shield

I haven't tried this yet, but how about a piece of rubber tubing slit wide enough to slide over the top of the GPS, and attaching the shield to the tubing?

This is a rainey day project I've been wanting to do.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't tried this yet, but how about a piece of rubber tubing slit wide enough to slide over the top of the GPS, and attaching the shield to the tubing?

This is a rainey day project I've been wanting to do.
I dunno. I'd think it'd need to be more rigid to stay put in the wind and not flap around................Lar.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Sun Shield

I dunno. I'd think it'd need to be more rigid to stay put in the wind and not flap around................Lar.
You're probably right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts