Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He looked at me like I was stupid, then I notice my turn signal was still on.
Got two LEDS.
For those that may need help, use the 2 wires to the turn bulb in dash, white/right... green/left.. (2011) and then find a common ground for the LEDS..
MUCH BRIGHTER..
Make sure to reinstall bulb socket to keep moisture out.

Gordon

Attachments

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Sounds like an excellent mod for those of us who may, occasionally, FORGET to reset out turn signal switch . . . know anyone like that? :)

Heard tell of audible alarms for the purpose of reminding the rider of active signals, also.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
know anyone like that?
LOL

Mine was just so dim I could not see it in the day. Tried LED bulb but most, if not all, are polarity sensitive. Works one way, not the other.

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts
Heard tell of audible alarms for the purpose of reminding the rider of active signals, also.
I've got a small alarm beeper thingy mounted under the front dash for just this purpose. Works great at lower speeds. On the highway I can't hear it. I've got self-cancelling signals on my Boldwing which I find cancel too quickly sometimes. I like to give lots of advance warning of my intention to turn, especially left, but I find I need to keep activating the signals becasue they time out. No solution is really the ultimate solution it seems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is brilliant. I'm a new rider and that is one of the things I just cannot seem to remember to do. I just ordered some.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not a new rider but this is the first bike I did not remove the turn signals on... So I am in the same boat as you.

Take your time, do it right. Only need to remove the windshield.
If your bike is not new, get new windshield grommets, the old ones may fall apart.

Gordon

·
Registered
5 Posts
Would you mind elaborating on your process. I ordered the lights and got them this week. I took the windshield off today and took a look in side to see where I was going to tie in at. My guess was at the plug going to the blinker but didn't do it yet. I'm curious where you did it. Pics would be great if you can.
Thanks
Oh and you are right, new windshield grommets are necessary.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't have pictures, sorry

The turn signal bulb in the dash has 2 wires, 1 green, 1 white or maybe it's a light gray..
The way it works is white is powered for right and green provides the ground... left, green is powered and white provides the ground.

Pull the stock turn signal bulb socket (pulls straight out) pull bulb and leave the bulb out forever, tap red wire from right LED to white, left LED red wire to green. push the old bulb socket back into dash to keep out moister.
Hook the 2 LED black wires together and find a ground, any solid mount bolt will do.

Mine is 2011, I assume all gen2 klr's run the same color code.

Any problems feel free to message me, I will be near the computer next couple days.

Gordon

·
Registered
96 Posts
Check out the "Other" KLR forum and there is a guy who sells the LED bulbs for the dash.. He also has pic's on how to tap into your signal harness.. I bought the whole kit 10 bulbs and a pre soldered (the setup needs diodes for the flashers) wire harness to tap into the flasher wires.. Oh and everything for 15 bucks shipped.. I am installing my stuff over the weekend...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just the other day I found my signal had been on even after hitting the reset button. Turns out, I just mashed my thumb in the vicinity and through my gloves, managed to not hit it. This is a nice mod and I may be stealing it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
This Mod rocks. Just finished the wiring and must say it is a world of difference than that crappy stock indicator. I went with the red/green - port/starboard thing, the old salty dog in me. Sort of wish I didn't do the red because it is a little harder to see but still a world of difference. Thanks for sharing and the help installing. You're a genius in my book. This was my first mod I have done on my '09 baby. Only had her a couple weeks. I'm sure there a many more to come. Thanks again.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No problem...
I am no genius, Many, Many people on this forum know way more then me. I am a old bike tech but still new and learning about KLR's...

Ride safe brother!!!

Gordon

1 - 13 of 13 Posts