Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, here's where I'm at, on my '08 I've drilled out the stock muffler with a 2-1/8 hole saw, drilled the slide, drilled 4 3/4 holes in the top of the airbox, remioved the snorkle, 2 55mm (.043") shims for the stock needle, screw out 2-1/2 turns, I'm around Tulsa, Ok aprox 740 above sea level.
haven't got it put back together yet, I'll get on it after work, any suggestions before I hop on it?
Thanks

·
Administrator
8,282 Posts
Icepick-

It sounds like you've followed the formula pretty well and it should work well for you.

If the tank is off right now, put a new plug in or clean the old one. Take it for a good run, the pull the plug and read it for mixture. If it's a nice tannish color rather that black and sooty or whitish, the mixture is pretty good and you're set.

Enjoy!

Tom

·
Administrator
8,282 Posts
What's that? Sounds interesting, care to share?

Tom

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a '92 Yamaha V Max that was set up for drag racing when I bought it, really really fast, but I was getting about 100 miles before I had to switch to reserve, so I tore apart, cleaned, (i have an utrasonic cleaner for just such an emergency) re-jetted, rebuilt, sync'd, about 5 times with just as many jet configurations 'til i finally got it right, the V Max carbs are known for falling out of sync! I finally figured that at 48 years old, I don't need to cruize at break-neck speeds, that and the carbs were on their last leg, not to mention a tranny rebuild in the near future, so I came back to the KLR world.
At least I can check the "V Max" off of my list of bikes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts